Transfer question (1 Viewer)

vojnik

HSC
ok im in a bit of a mess

i completed my hsc in 06 and got a uai of 79. XX now i believe its an ATAR of 81 or something. I did ONE semester at UWS business and got P C C C. after this one semester i went to UTS and did engineering. my first semester there was a P P P HD. so my first year of uni i got P P P P C C C HD at 2 institutions. in 2008 i did an entire year at UTS and failed 1 subject in each semester. In 2009 I completed 7 subjcts and failed 5.

I applied for a transfer back into my UWS business course that I originally did.

The UWS website states:

" As a NCSL you are assessed on four criteria:

* NSW HSC or equivalent;
* TAFE or Tertiary studies;
* Work Experience;
* STAT

Each criteria is given a rank out of 100 and the highest rank that you attain will be your competitiveness to gain entry to a course "

Since my tertiary gpa is fucked, my ATAR is around 81 and the cutoff for the course is usually low 70's so does that mean I should get in?

questions.

1. What are my chances on getting into any course at any university? do they all do it like uws does ? and what is my selection based on? UAI + CURRENT GPA ( which is just under a fucking FAIL gpa) or UAI alone or UAI + first year tertiary marks?

2. if i do get in, the degree was called something else in 07 and now its called a b business and commerce ( economics and finance ) where as when i did it in o7 it was called B business ( economics and finanace _ and some of the names of the units have changed.. will i get complete 4 unit exemption for my first semester there that i did in 07??

3. Will I get a 4 unit exemption for electives if i decide to take 4 of my engineering units from uts as electives for this business degree?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold:

Last edited:

vojnik

HSC
Also because this year of failing so much I know i will be excluded from the course.

My only real reason is that I worked too much during uni and that affected the time I had to study..but working too much was a personal choice and that kind of makes it a useless case for me to argue..

I don't really wish to use a "personal" reason for my failing as I don't like talking about them....and I don't know if they even apply..like parents divroced..living with single mother with disability and depression..low income household.. but I dont like talkin about that stuff and I would rather not want to have to write that stuff down in my appeal to expulsion because it would have to be in detail...and plus I personally dont think these things made me fail..me not studying made me fail...even tho mum gets down sometimes and I argue with her over her reasoning with some things which I dont understand...I mean..the stress does get alot sometimes but I like to believe that I am handling it..

Can I just use the " I worked too much" excuse?

as for my reasons for wanting to transfer...as of now if i am allowed back to uts I have 2.5 years of study left plus internships..which is 1 year...at uws if i get credit for electives from uts engo i can get 1 year off so thats 2 years only left for the degree...
i would like to do engineering but stress from the degree + stress at home sometimes can be too much..even for me..and I like to think of myself as a calm mannered person...i just think the business degree will take alot of stress off and i can still work more which i want to since I am the only person at home working....if i go back to engineering then i would need to work less for the next while...but I can find an internship which will take my mind off uni which i really do need..its just that im very un motivated in finding one because it is tough and I know people who have been looking for quite some time and they havent goten offers/...and i dont like my chances anyway with my fucked up GPA and all those un-necessary fails....fucking hell..sometimes I hate all this uni bullshit.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Feeling generous so I'll take a stab at what I know.
1. What are my chances on getting into any course at any university? do they all do it like uws does ? and what is my selection based on? UAI + CURRENT GPA ( which is just under a fucking FAIL gpa) or UAI alone or UAI + first year tertiary marks?
No. Every uni assesses different criterion regarding admission, ie UNSW will take the best of UAI or tertiary marks, whilst USYD will take an average (where a full year at uni is completed). Each criteria is given a rank out of 100 and the highest rank that you attain will be your competitiveness to gain entry to a course. Ie whichever is the best mark will be the one they use to assess your application. PLEASE NOTE off the top of my head, your UAI is only valid for 2 or 3 years, and at any rate, as an 06 leaver it will be invalid for admission in 2010. Not sure on the dates but you'd want to sit the STAT test and get a decent mark in it.

Because it is pretty late in the year, you probably won't get the mark back for consideration in the main round, but will be okay for the later rounds.

2. if i do get in, the degree was called something else in 07 and now its called a b business and commerce ( economics and finance ) where as when i did it in o7 it was called B business ( economics and finanace _ and some of the names of the units have changed.. will i get complete 4 unit exemption for my first semester there that i did in 07??
Go to UWS and ask them. They should be able to tell you right off the bat if you can get credits or not.

3. Will I get a 4 unit exemption for electives if i decide to take 4 of my engineering units from uts as electives for this business degree?
If they're relevant electives and the subjects cover the same material then yes, probably. But given you're going from engineering to business, don't hold your breath. Either way its just an extra semester.
Can I just use the " I worked too much" excuse?
For what, exactly? Nobody's going to ask you to justify your marks, they'll just take them as they are.

UTS might ask you to go to a course advisor/counsellor or something to discuss your results but at the end of the day you could just be an idiot with no skill so they won't expect anything to come of it. If it comes to this all you'd need would be some sort of written proof that you did need to work to support your family or whatever (no not a written note from your mum).
I know people who have been looking for quite some time and they havent goten offers/...and i dont like my chances anyway with my fucked up GPA and all those un-necessary fails....fucking hell..sometimes I hate all this uni bullshit.
All the more reason (in all seriousness) to give uni a long hard think before you commit to it again.

vojnik

HSC
Thanks for your input.

In regards to how valid my UAI is..I have read that the rules have changed. It used to be valid for 10 years, now it is forever. What do you mean by 2 - 3 years validity?

As for my working, It was not to supporty my family at all. My family would still have a roof over their head and food, pay all the bills, etc even if I did not work..I just chose to for extra money but all im saying is that when I appeal my expulsion I would rather use an excuse that I "had" to work more...instead of those other personal reasons...i mean even those reasons never really got in the way of uni..they just made it that little bit "harder"..living with a single mum and with low income, etc.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Must be thinking of the UMAT then, my bad.

Your appeal will have no grounding - you're expected to put uni first where you're enrolled full time.

vojnik

HSC
Must be thinking of the UMAT then, my bad.

Your appeal will have no grounding - you're expected to put uni first where you're enrolled full time.

Yeh I will double check with how long the UAI is valid for. But lets say it is still valid. My ATAR now is like 81. The cutoff for my business course is around 72. I think that alone means I should get in..on paper..lol.

Im just hoping UWS wont tell me to get stuffed cos my GPA is under a pass average ..

vojnik

HSC
Yeh I thought so to I just wanted confirmation from someone, thanks bud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)