Transfer to a different uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys. I will be commencing uni soon at either western Sydney uni or Australian catholic uni in medical science (biomedical major) or biomedical science. However, I would like to study at UNSW or Macquarie uni in a similar course. Firstly I’d like to ask how hard would this be, and which uni (acu or wsu) would be best to transfer from? I understand I’d have to complete like a year or so before I could transfer out (ATAR wasn’t all that great). Help appreciated! :)

c_z_m

HSC
As far as I know for UNSW, transfers are based on WAM (Weighted Average Mark)/GPA (Grade Point Average) which should generally be 65-75+ (WAM - not sure about GPA) for most external transfers. Your previous university may be a factor in transferring, I'm not too sure, but maintaining a high WAM will generally be fine.

Also keep in mind because UNSW and WSU/ACU are different unis which may approach degrees different, you may not be able to get all of your credits transferred (this is up to the discretion of UNSW). If you are unable to get a full year's worth a content "transferred", you may have to take up more courses, do a summer term, or have a longer degree.

You ultimately have to apply via UAC for Medical Science - though I'm not sure whether that's 100% ATAR based or a 50/50 WAM/ATAR split - I reckon it depends on the time of year you apply.

Call UNSW up as well - I've heard they're really informative about these kind of things! (Though preferably after these 2 weeks)

I would also like to add that MedSci is competitive at UNSW because many students will want to transfer into a Doctor of Medicine and that may mean MedSci culture at UNSW...probably isn't the best compared to other unis. Think about the uni environment you want to be involved in as well.

Last edited:
HSC
As far as I know for UNSW, transfers are based on WAM (Weighted Average Mark)/GPA (Grade Point Average) which should generally be 65-75+ (WAM - not sure about GPA) for most external transfers. Your previous university may be a factor in transferring, I'm not too sure, but maintaining a high WAM will generally be fine.

Also keep in mind because UNSW and WSU/ACU are different unis which may approach degrees different, you may not be able to get all of your credits transferred (this is up to the discretion of UNSW). If you are unable to get a full year's worth a content "transferred", you may have to take up more courses, do a summer term, or have a longer degree.

You ultimately have to apply via UAC for Medical Science - though I'm not sure whether that's 100% ATAR based or a 50/50 WAM/ATAR split - I reckon it depends on the time of year you apply.

Call UNSW up as well - I've heard they're really informative about these kind of things! (Though preferably after these 2 weeks)

I would also like to add that MedSci is competitive at UNSW because many students will want to transfer into a Doctor of Medicine and that may mean MedSci culture at UNSW...probably isn't the best compared to other unis. Think about the uni environment you want to be involved in as well.
Thanks for that! I’ll try talking to UNSW after in that case. I’m terms of this year though, do you think going to acu or wsu would make a difference in terms of transferring or would they be the same?

c_z_m

HSC
Thanks for that! I’ll try talking to UNSW after in that case. I’m terms of this year though, do you think going to acu or wsu would make a difference in terms of transferring or would they be the same?
Well, looking at the selection ranks for ACU and WSU - biomedical science has a selection rank of 60.95 (ACU) and medical science has a selection rank of 71.90 (WSU). Though this should not make a difference in transferring in my opinion if you perform well compared to your cohort. In my opinion, WSU is more well known and has more students, but university should not matter if you can maintain a distinction average (75+ WAM). However, I suspect both courses will not allow you to transfer many units of credit - I've heard it could be only 1 subject transferred in a 9 subject year for the Sciences. So when enrolling for your courses, enrol in biomedical courses, obviously, just in case it's transferrable and to get a feel for it, but don't swamp yourself with purely biomedical courses - take some fun, free electives.

Personally, I'd say to choose the university that you like best. There should be O-weeks at those universities - see if you can attend those. Reputation may be of importance, but it's no use going to a university that you don't like. Also consider travel time and contact hours at each of these universities.

Also, have you considered going to UTS? They offer a Bachelor of Science (with majors in Biomedical Science) for a LSR of 76.30.

HSC
Well, looking at the selection ranks for ACU and WSU - biomedical science has a selection rank of 60.95 (ACU) and medical science has a selection rank of 71.90 (WSU). Though this should not make a difference in transferring in my opinion if you perform well compared to your cohort. In my opinion, WSU is more well known and has more students, but university should not matter if you can maintain a distinction average (75+ WAM). However, I suspect both courses will not allow you to transfer many units of credit - I've heard it could be only 1 subject transferred in a 9 subject year for the Sciences. So when enrolling for your courses, enrol in biomedical courses, obviously, just in case it's transferrable and to get a feel for it, but don't swamp yourself with purely biomedical courses - take some fun, free electives.

Personally, I'd say to choose the university that you like best. There should be O-weeks at those universities - see if you can attend those. Reputation may be of importance, but it's no use going to a university that you don't like. Also consider travel time and contact hours at each of these universities.

Also, have you considered going to UTS? They offer a Bachelor of Science (with majors in Biomedical Science) for a LSR of 76.30.
Yes, I considered UTS, but it by the time I did it was too late to change my preferences :(. Anyway thanks, I think I'm gonna go to western Sydney uni for its better reputation and more students.

c_z_m

HSC
Yes, I considered UTS, but it by the time I did it was too late to change my preferences :(. Anyway thanks, I think I'm gonna go to western Sydney uni for its better reputation and more students.
You'll be fine. May I ask if you have done maths and science at school? It's assumed knowledge at WSU.

c_z_m

HSC
yea I did adv math, adv eng, chem, bio, and geo
Good luck to you then! Personally I would recommending transferring to Macquarie University (or even staying at WSU if you like it!) - Medical Science at UNSW has super, super competitive people to get one of the coveted 10 places in medicine and I feel Macquarie University is a place where you can hone your skills better. But for social life and activities, UNSW is pretty good, so that might be something else to consider.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan on become on the completion of your degree?

HSC
Good luck to you then! Personally I would recommending transferring to Macquarie University (or even staying at WSU if you like it!) - Medical Science at UNSW has super, super competitive people to get one of the coveted 10 places in medicine and I feel Macquarie University is a place where you can hone your skills better. But for social life and activities, UNSW is pretty good, so that might be something else to consider.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan on become on the completion of your degree?
I know u said the uni shouldn't matter, but do you think there's any advantages acu or wsu has over another in terms of transferring? idk what I wanna do after uni lmao, probs something in pharmaceuticals, or maybe maybe do doctor of medicine after.

c_z_m

HSC
I know u said the uni shouldn't matter, but do you think there's any advantages acu or wsu has over another in terms of transferring? idk what I wanna do after uni lmao, probs something in pharmaceuticals, or maybe maybe do doctor of medicine after.
I really doubt university matters that much. Neither are part of the Go8 (group of 8) so there really is no inherent advantage by choosing one over the other. Choose which one you like better, as you are planning on transferring after all.

For pharmaceuticals, have you considered transfering into a Bachelor of Pharmacy at USyd? It might be more relevant, though I'm not sure.
Also note you will have to do GAMSAT for post-graduate doctor of medicine degrees. Biomedical degrees will not give you any advantage for this whatsoever, keep in mind. Also, please do not try to transfer into UNSW's Doctor of Medicine from Medical Science. It is not worth it and the competitive atmosphere is not what you are paying to go into uni for.

HSC
I really doubt university matters that much. Neither are part of the Go8 (group of 8) so there really is no inherent advantage by choosing one over the other. Choose which one you like better, as you are planning on transferring after all.

For pharmaceuticals, have you considered transfering into a Bachelor of Pharmacy at USyd? It might be more relevant, though I'm not sure.
Also note you will have to do GAMSAT for post-graduate doctor of medicine degrees. Biomedical degrees will not give you any advantage for this whatsoever, keep in mind. Also, please do not try to transfer into UNSW's Doctor of Medicine from Medical Science. It is not worth it and the competitive atmosphere is not what you are paying to go into uni for.
OK. I know like it shouldn't matter much since I wanna transfer, but I really don't know which uni I should go to for now since they both have their pros and cons and ultimately weigh out to be exactly equal to me. Really frustrating I cant make the choice, and I need to choose now...

c_z_m

HSC
OK. I know like it shouldn't matter much since I wanna transfer, but I really don't know which uni I should go to for now since they both have their pros and cons and ultimately weigh out to be exactly equal to me. Really frustrating I cant make the choice, and I need to choose now...
Think about which universities your friends go to, proximity to your residence, and contact hours as other factors in determining your choice. I can't make a choice for you, and neither can anyone else, but I'm sorry you have to make such a decision on such short notice.

HSC
Think about which universities your friends go to, proximity to your residence, and contact hours as other factors in determining your choice. I can't make a choice for you, and neither can anyone else, but I'm sorry you have to make such a decision on such short notice.
Okay. Well thank u so much for ur help, ill really consider ur advice, thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)