Transfer to B Arts (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So uhh, to make this short - after my dismal showing in Commerce subjects so far, and my lack of interest in them... I've decided to seriously consider transferring to Arts to major in English... and minor in Creative Writing. That is, to transfer to program 3933 - Arts / Adv Maths.

Any thoughts?

I figure job prospects... well, I'm not going to do anything with Commerce anyway - the maths will form the bulk of what I do after graduating anyway, so the Commerce would be like a 'helper'. But if I'm not really enjoying it, or motivated to study it... well, yeah. Besides, I like English anyway and I heard that some of the English stuff is nice.

And the main argument here is: "Might as well do something I enjoy".

And if it fails, and I don't like how English is taught at university level - I could always transfer back, I suppose - right?

I'm thinking of going to Info Day and... asking around.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Sure,
I don't think it'll set you back any time if you do adv math/arts.
Just make sure it's what you want to do.
I don't think you'd transfer back...by then you'd be behind and probably have to stay back an extra semester/year.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sure,
I don't think it'll set you back any time if you do adv math/arts.
Just make sure it's what you want to do.
I don't think you'd transfer back...by then you'd be behind and probably have to stay back an extra semester/year.
I figure the only way I'll know if I really want to do it is if I sit in a lecture, read some of the material and get a feel of what it's like.

But I have a few electives in Year 4 that I can use if I transfer back, I figure. 2 free electives, 2 science electives, 1 free commerce elective.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lol. yeah i dont know if you can go back.
just make sure it's what u want to do.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Why not just forget the double degree and do straight advanced maths?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Why not just forget the double degree and do straight advanced maths?
Then I'd have all these electives I wouldn't know what to do with.

Besides, I think I have it all planned out now... just hope there'll be no clashes.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Then I'd have all these electives I wouldn't know what to do with.

Besides, I think I have it all planned out now... just hope there'll be no clashes.
Do you mean subjects that you have already done that you can't count towards your degree, or electives that you need to choose for the Advanced Maths degree?

If the former, you can probably apply to have some of your B.Com subjects counted in place of Gen Eds, and if the latter, you just do more maths.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you mean subjects that you have already done that you can't count towards your degree, or electives that you need to choose for the Advanced Maths degree?

If the former, you can probably apply to have some of your B.Com subjects counted in place of Gen Eds, and if the latter, you just do more maths.
Hmm, wait I retract my last statement - not sure what I was thinking.

What I mean to say is that if I do straight Adv Maths, I'll have lots of subject spaces I don't know what to do with - but if I do Arts or Commerce, I'd have a 'framework' to go around.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
So uhh, to make this short - after my dismal showing in Commerce subjects so far, and my lack of interest in them... I've decided to seriously consider transferring to Arts to major in English... and minor in Creative Writing. That is, to transfer to program 3933 - Arts / Adv Maths.

Any thoughts?

I figure job prospects... well, I'm not going to do anything with Commerce anyway - the maths will form the bulk of what I do after graduating anyway, so the Commerce would be like a 'helper'. But if I'm not really enjoying it, or motivated to study it... well, yeah. Besides, I like English anyway and I heard that some of the English stuff is nice.

And if it fails, and I don't like how English is taught at university level - I could always transfer back, I suppose - right?

Why not consider doing a Psych stream from a B Arts degree? I know it doesn't really relate to your other degree but its one of the most popular majors and you can stem with a masters from that and practice it after graduation plus when you do Psych from B Arts you don't have to do any extra maths units.

PS. I know what you mean by commerce starting to bore/tire you out... I'm trying to transfer out myself.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Why not consider doing a Psych stream from a B Arts degree? I know it doesn't really relate to your other degree but its one of the most popular majors and you can stem with a masters from that and practice it after graduation plus when you do Psych from B Arts you don't have to do any extra maths units.

PS. I know what you mean by commerce starting to bore/tire you out... I'm trying to transfer out myself.
Psychology? I'm not really into that sort of thing.

And I want to use mathematics after graduating - so my second degree is just for kicks. And I like maths =(

billybobneck

Banned
HSC
N/A

Any thoughts?

LOLs , I got 87 for FINS1613 and the final exam for that subject were all past exam questions.

See the past papers that, I think, Boom put up like 2 days before the final exam. Every question in the final except for about three , came from those papers he uploaded. LOLOLOL.

Also, I have heard that finance reuses past exams for all of their subjects. So it is easy as.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
LOLs , I got 87 for FINS1613 and the final exam for that subject were all past exam questions.

See the past papers that, I think, Boom put up like 2 days before the final exam. Every question in the final except for about three , came from those papers he uploaded. LOLOLOL.

Also, I have heard that finance reuses past exams for all of their subjects. So it is easy as.
Little motivation to do subject = not gonna do past papers.

And if that's "lol u so stupid", let's see what happens if I actually try, yes?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Psychology? I'm not really into that sort of thing.

And I want to use mathematics after graduating - so my second degree is just for kicks. And I like maths =(
I know... B Arts is always that degree we use to put up on our walls as something fancy and extra... but good luck eh?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know... B Arts is always that degree we use to put up on our walls as something fancy and extra... but good luck eh?
I'll get in if I transfer - it's just if I want to.

Besides, it'd be nice to say "I did a degree in English... and a degree in Maths". See what people think. =P

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think you mean you wipe your ass with it. It's basically a glorified piece of toilet paper.
And...?

If nothing else, Arts degrees provide us with the mythical attractive female Arts students.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I think you mean you wipe your ass with it. It's basically a glorified piece of toilet paper.
Some people may think of B Arts that way but I think of it as an extra certificate to outshine your friends at the end of the day but truthfully job prospects is very limited.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
And...?

If nothing else, Arts degrees provide us with the mythical attractive female Arts students.
I beg to differ... its the male art students that outshine the females... who wouldn't want to date a guy majoring in Latin? =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)