Transfer to Phb from science (adv) (1 Viewer)

Gauss

HSC
N/A
I am currently enrolled in the bachelor of science (advanced), I never applied for the phb because my english mark dragged me below the 99 cutoff. I only recently discovered that people below this cut-off made it into the course, on their merits in competitions and olympiads etc.

Is it possible to transfer from the Science (adv) to phb at the end of either first semester or first year? If so how does one go about this? The deadline for a course transfer in second semester is the end of june, which is before the final results of first semester are released, so would i have to rely upon my merits in high school?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
>The deadline for a course transfer in second semester is the end of june

are you sure? i would expect it to be WAYY before that?

I'd apply anyway, whats the worst that can happen? they say no. Either way, expect to have pretty awesome marks to be even considered for phb. I'm not sure about phb sci, but a friend doing phb maths had to do hons pathway for every course, and get hds. It's a big ask.

viva_la_albert

HSC
You want at least a HD average if you want a successful transfer. PhB is very competitive. Good luck.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I have friends who started off in BSc (Adv) and ended up in PhB after a year, due to a combination of a decent ATAR (98ish) and good grades (straight HDs), so it's certainly possible. Then again, I have friends who got kicked out of BSc (Adv) for getting too low grades (only 70ish) and ended up in a BSc (though oddly enough they still got first class honours in their honours year).

Archon95

HSC
Just wondering, would a 99+ ATAR guarantee you getting into the PhB if you didn't have any special stuff like olympiads?

Pfortune35

HSC
in what ways is the phb better than a b sci adv(yeh hijicking the thread I know)

if the standard is much high you'll probs need very high marks.

Also you may have to take extra courses that people already doing the phb have done that you havent done yet

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
There are no guarantees for getting into the PhB program, but I've never heard of a student who got 99+ and didn't get in (but then again, it's not something you'd ask someone). I know several people who got below 99 and got in because of great letters of recommendation and some sort of relevant achievement (olympiad or summer research program or something).

That being said, most PhB students weren't olympiad-level (I certainly wasn't), and a lot had no particularly impressive achievements other than a 99.** ATAR with high marks in certain science courses (or arts, for PhB arts people).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)