transfering from UNSW to UTS (1 Viewer)

sasquatch

HSC
Hi...i hate UNSW..but anyway..

I was looking at the courses and interested in transferring to UTS mid year.. The The courses that have caught my eye include ICT Engineering, Science in IT, or this super combo that kinda freaks me out but intrigues me at the same time - B Sci in IT / B Arts in Int. Studies / Diploma of IT practice...

I have a few questions that id really appreciate if someone could help me answer: How the hell.. would i go about transfering from one uni to another.. anybody else had any experience in such? Also for the Bachelor of Arts in International Studies.. I havent had any experience in a foreign language (except in year 8 when it was manditory), but i know that this course does not have any langauge prerequisites.. Im just wondering is the workload super hard..it still doesnt seem so as well you have 6 whole years to complete this degree (so an extra 2 compared to a normal degree) and if any one HAS or IS going overseas for their year of oversea's study - how the hell are you supposed to survive over there.. (super rich parents, saving before the year comes up, working overseas, etc.) and for the uni costs overseas, are they covered by HECs, or do you have to pay for them yourself...

Thanks to anyone who can help answer these questions!

krayzie_

HSC
Well if you want to transfer you need to go through UAC, get yourself a UAC guide and fill out the forms, etc.

B.Arts is ok I guess? But I don't know anything else about it.

I'm sure more people will reply ya

Beege

HSC
Do you only need to spend 1 semester at another university to get into UTS?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You can get in at anytime, however you require a full year of university if you want those marks to contribute to your entrance score.

sasquatch said:
I have a few questions that id really appreciate if someone could help me answer: How the hell.. would i go about transfering from one uni to another.. anybody else had any experience in such?
Simply go through the UAC procedures; it's fairly similar to how you applied for uni the first time. The main difference being on the marks on which it is based - combination of uni and HSC marks this time around.

Also for the Bachelor of Arts in International Studies.. I havent had any experience in a foreign language (except in year 8 when it was manditory), but i know that this course does not have any langauge prerequisites.. Im just wondering is the workload super hard..it still doesnt seem so as well you have 6 whole years to complete this degree (so an extra 2 compared to a normal degree) and if any one HAS or IS going overseas for their year of oversea's study - how the hell are you supposed to survive over there.. (super rich parents, saving before the year comes up, working overseas, etc.) and for the uni costs overseas, are they covered by HECs, or do you have to pay for them yourself...
You start at whatever language level is suited to you, there's 4 levels all up and you cover 2 of them. Part of the costs of going overseas can be covered by OS-HELP but yeah, most of it does have to come from your own funding - saving up, personal loans or whatever. Its also an entire year overseas, though if you so choose you can throw an extra semester onto that.

sasquatch

HSC
Hey thanks everyone for their replies.

Um so Kami, you said:

You can get in at anytime, however you require a full year of university if you want those marks to contribute to your entrance score.
SO does that mean if i want to transfer mid-year its only UAI because you said after this that:

Simply go through the UAC procedures; it's fairly similar to how you applied for uni the first time. The main difference being on the marks on which it is based - combination of uni and HSC marks this time around.
Because thats a bit worrying..i got a really good enough uai - 97.55 but am screwing up this semester..cuz im just unhappy...bored..full of hatred..lonley at my uni..haha etc etc. One of my course ill probably fail...or just get like really really reallyyyyyy low..(just pass) Another two ill get pass or credit..and MAYBE one course - distinction or credit...

But anyway i hope its JUST UAI haha.. also do i need to write one of those "ass-kissing" essays? Or just apply via UAC?

Thanks again to everyone who has replied and does so in the future!

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Hey, sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question.
How is personal statements considered at UTS when it comes to transfers?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
theyre considered if your uni marks and UAI barely reached the cut off for that course
say for example, you have an nrsl index of 88, but the course youre doing is 90, then they take your personal statement into account, which then in turn could allocate up to 10 points onto your nrsl index, which makes your application more competitive

i dont think i wouldve gotten in if it wasnt for my personal statement.....i think i was like 5 UAI points away, but that probably saved my ass.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
sasquatch:
As I said, you need to do a whole year's worth at uni for those marks to contribute - there is no uni mark in essence until you've completed 48cp worth (incl. fails). If you do get that mark, then it gets considered along with the UAI.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Want to know anything about BScIT/DipITProfPrac?

krayzie_

HSC
<333 personal statements!

they read it they probably can tell what kind of person you are and how your demeanor is (unless you did not right it of course), you can say whatever you want in it.. to give yourself more brownie points. and yea they can give you additional 10 points!

make sure you write a real good one though.. lol, i know ppl who got really bad scores but wrote really good statements and got in :D

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah, you would want to do anything to maximise your chance of a transfer, so although the 2500 word looks tedious, it will be all worth it in the end, once you get into a course you enjoy studying

MuffinMan

HSC
krayzie_ said:
<333 personal statements!

they read it they probably can tell what kind of person you are and how your demeanor is (unless you did not right it of course), you can say whatever you want in it.. to give yourself more brownie points. and yea they can give you additional 10 points!

make sure you write a real good one though.. lol, i know ppl who got really bad scores but wrote really good statements and got in :D
any tips on how to write a good one??????

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
have you actually read the page saying how to write a proper personal statement?
if i remember ill send it to you....but its on my other comp and i cbf doing it now

MuffinMan

HSC
cool, yeah I have, it says to write about
what you have achieved, what you have learnt from your previous studies that would contribute to the course offered at uts, why would you like to do the course offered at uts, work experience etc etc.

Cool, thanks, just send it on pm, cbf opening msn to wait for people to send me stuff lol.

krayzie_

HSC
Yea.

1. Write about what you have done in the past (I think theres a guide on UTS site which says what you should write in it)
2. Write how much you are interested in your chosen degree. Maybe know alittle bit of information about the work which is related to it.
3. Say how keen you are blah blah blah.
4. Basically your selling yourself, just like a job interview. IF you want to get employed, or in this case enrolled.. then you got to sell yourself.. haha, offer sex if you have too. lawl

=p

MuffinMan

HSC
krayzie_ said:
Yea.

1. Write about what you have done in the past (I think theres a guide on UTS site which says what you should write in it)
2. Write how much you are interested in your chosen degree. Maybe know alittle bit of information about the work which is related to it.
3. Say how keen you are blah blah blah.
4. Basically your selling yourself, just like a job interview. IF you want to get employed, or in this case enrolled.. then you got to sell yourself.. haha, offer sex if you have too. lawl

=p
cool, thanks heaps, i'll keep that in mind :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)