Transfering into law: unrealistic with 92.35 UAI? (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
As title says.
It explains on the site that they only take 30 transfer students per year. My UAI isn't that great (92.35) but I'm willing to work my ass off in my first year in b arts to transfer to b arts/ b law(2nd year).

Has anyone else got around my UAI and transfered? Am I being unrealistic? Should I try another uni? I really wanna go to Macquarie, but if I can't start my b law/b arts degree by the beginning of my second year I'm going to go mad (even spending a year away from the legal side of things will be hard to cope with, despite having my stash of alternative law journals to keep me company).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
30 is a predictive number, it could be as little as 0 to 50 depending on the year.

The transfers at MQ are based internally on your GPA, a 3.0 Credit average is 'competitive' but being a law course and a tiny quota, realistically 3.50+ is probably your best bet meaning you'll most likely need to get distinctions and high distinctions.

HSC
N/A
I don't know whether it was a UAI issue, but Rob (PwarYuex) sort of took up law in second year, I think. Then again he's too smart for his own good. gpa of 3.5, 4? something like that!! lol

X

xeuyrawp

Marks: hannah - ring up Maggie Liston and ask her what kind of GPA you'll need with your UAI. Your UAI does count, see here.

One of my friends was applying as well, so I inquired about marks (my marks were okay enough to get me in). Maggie read me a list of GPA & UAI pairs of people who got in. Unfortunately, I didn't write it down, and I'm not going to hazard a guess about what GPA you'll need with your UAI because 1. it changes every year, and 2. I'm not going to guess.

The thing to note is that it's a balance. If you got a GPA of 3.75 or above, I suspect you'll get a place. Anywhere above 3.5 and you should be 'competitive' for a place, but you're in no way promised it. I also suspect that the written application itself does have weight - my friend got a UAI of 85, had a GPA of 3.9, and had work experience at a barrister's office with me. The barrister (a Senior Counsel) wrote us both references, as well. The thing to note is that she got in with those marks. Whilst a GPA of 3.9 is tough, it's just a reflection of wise subject choices, not overloading on units, and working hard.

Applying internally and externally: You should also apply to transfer externally - ie via UAC. I don't know if it'll give you a better chance, but my attitude is that every little thing may help!

You can not transfer internally straight after your first semester, you have to have completed a full year. I'm not sure about UAC (externally), but you should ring up and find out if you could transfer externally straight after first sem. It's not so much a hassle if you can't, just get all your arts credit points up in the mean time. One year of not doing law is not a bad thing, it won't delay your degree too much. In fact, if you get in via an external transfer (like a student on this forum), it won't delay your degree at all because of the way you can pick up units. Hence I think applying both internally and externally is the way to go - remember that you can reject both the internal and external offer at any time.

Choosing arts units: The last thing to ensure is that you chose arts electives in which you will go well. Yes, it's fun to try new things, but if you want to maximise your chances of getting into law, you need to make sure you have a lot of Distinctions/High Distinctions, and less of everything else. Compare units to what you've done at school. Also, there is no need to overload in first or second semester, you do not need to do more than 3 units a semester. If doing 3 units may ensure that your GPA is high enough to do law, why risk it and do 4 units?

Hope that helps, and it isn't confusing. Things to remember:

1. Ring up Maggie liston and ask about the marks and whether you can apply for a mid-year external transfer,
2. chose units which you are likely to enjoy and do well in,
3. don't do more than three units a semester, because it just gives you a greater chance of having a lower GPA,
4. apply externally and internally,
5. it's quite realistic to get into it with a UAI of 92, if you're willing to work.

Good luck! :)

[edited for spelling error]

Last edited by a moderator:

*jellz*

HSC
I totally agree. It's very realistic for you to get into law with that UAI-- but you will need to get D's and HD's if possible. So what that means is-- get your readings done on time, pay attention in all of your classes (don't skip lectures!) and start reading/researching assignments in advance. May I recommend taking the library tour, i wasted ages figuring out where everything was by myself and now I wish i hadn't. The tours run mainly near the beginning of the semester and dont take up a lot of time.

X

xeuyrawp

*jellz* said:
I totally agree. It's very realistic for you to get into law with that UAI-- but you will need to get D's and HD's if possible. So what that means is-- get your readings done on time, pay attention in all of your classes (don't skip lectures!) and start reading/researching assignments in advance. May I recommend taking the library tour, i wasted ages figuring out where everything was by myself and now I wish i hadn't. The tours run mainly near the beginning of the semester and dont take up a lot of time.
I'd also recommend going to Orientation and being in a mentor group.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
its not unrealistic at all hannah...i had a friend who got roughly similar uai to you and she had a gpa of exactly 3. She was accepted into the law quota, and has since then passed and credited the first year law subjects.

Just do you rbest in first year and get as many Ds and Credits as possible, talk to Maggie Liston and you *should* be ok. It depends on the quality of intake, the quota they have set and your grades.

Tabris

HSC
I got 91.35 UAI

GPA = 5 D and 3 C on 24CP

Not difficult, but not easy either to get that. Takes some work but once u get in, it is not surprisingly difficult.

Jamo-S

HSC
I was going to transfer If i didn't get into law at macquarie straight away. My history teacher told me that Macquarie considers itself an innovative university and that there are plenty of ways to get into the course you want. Although I did hear from a current student that to get distinctions and high distinctions you need to put in a lot of work.

All the best and i hope you get into arts/law :D

hannahxxx

HSC
Wow thanks every1 for your replies/advice. I' m more confident now(which is a very good feeling-considering I'd spent the last week believing Macquarie was completely out of my league). I'm no stranger to hard work so I'm kinda looking forward to the challenge of a distinction average....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I must stress, that essentially it is quite difficult to just assume 'hard work' will get you through. As much as it is easy to turn up to lectures and what not, particularly within humanities/scmp, there are subtle variations and nuances which you have to address to 'perfect' each style of essay.

So if you find you're not getting the grades you believe you should be getting, ask your tutor and lecturer for tips on how to improve, it will really help knowing the boundaries and what exactly they're looking for :)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
So if you find you're not getting the grades you believe you should be getting, ask your tutor and lecturer for tips on how to improve, it will really help knowing the boundaries and what exactly they're looking for :)
Definitely an important piece of advice.

Hopefully everyone pays attention around the tenth or eleventh time they hear it, I know I did. :D

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am currently trying to transfer into macquarie law from UWS law with a UAI of 94 and a GPA of 5.125 (5.0 is a credit gpa at UWS, 1HD, 6 C's, 1 P), somehow I dont think my GPA will quite cut it. I am not sure how successful I will be but I am crossing my fingers.

With a good GPA its not unrealistic at all.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
melsc said:
I am currently trying to transfer into macquarie law from UWS law with a UAI of 94 and a GPA of 5.125 (5.0 is a credit gpa at UWS, 1HD, 6 C's, 1 P), somehow I dont think my GPA will quite cut it. I am not sure how successful I will be but I am crossing my fingers.

With a good GPA its not unrealistic at all.
Think about this, your UAI is roughly 1-2 below the cut off. Depending on other people applying, I reckon you got a better shot than you think. Good luck :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah check the NRSL rank stuff for it, since the internal quota doesn't really apply to you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)