Transfering into Law (1 Viewer)

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
So, let's assume that my hopes fall through and I don't hit the 99.15 UAI mark, but I will get over 95 and probably 97/98. So, I try and transfer. I've read the websites and such about it, but can anyone here give me a realistic guideline as to whether or not I'll succeed? As far as I can tell, there are three ways

Another degree (probably economics or commerce) -> Law
Another university (probably MQ) -> Law UNSW
Full fee-paying (why not owe the government some more money) -> HECS

Thanks in advance

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
The site has no info on this, and I only scanned your larger post, but do you know whether UNSW will bump up your UAI in a transfer if the university awarded you EAS in a previous year?
no idea.

try emailing the lawfac on that issue. though i doubt they would. :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
no idea.

try emailing the lawfac on that issue. though i doubt they would. :)
awwwww :rolleyes:

ace

is retired
HSC
neo_o said:
The site has no info on this, and I only scanned your larger post, but do you know whether UNSW will bump up your UAI in a transfer if the university awarded you EAS in a previous year?
You apply for the SCATS scheme. Scats standing for "Special Consideration for Applicants with a Teritary Record". So assuming you've done any amount of time at uni, and you apply, since EAS don't exist at uni, you submit the Scats form. Same kinda thing. You have to prove it etc, much like the EAS forms.

You can get the forms off the Equity and Diversity website (for UNSW).

sweetgurl

im also in the same position. i want to get a transfer at the end of the year and wondering if the university takes into account that my EAS application was accepted for 2005. does usyd have this special consideration for tertiary applicants as well?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ace said:
You apply for the SCATS scheme. Scats standing for "Special Consideration for Applicants with a Teritary Record". So assuming you've done any amount of time at uni, and you apply, since EAS don't exist at uni, you submit the Scats form. Same kinda thing. You have to prove it etc, much like the EAS forms.

You can get the forms off the Equity and Diversity website (for UNSW).
It's my UAI that sucks, not my tertiary record (so far), though I could probably apply through that too :(

Firefly05

HSC
I'm in the same boat too. I have been told that your UAI is combined with your GPA if your only in first year. After that the UAI is worth nil. Write to uni admissions and plead your way in. Also try and get important people like student wealfare etc to promote your cause.

Does anyone who wants a transfer have a scholarship. I've had to reapply for my CLS with my scholarship and I really hope I keep it. What are the chances of loosing/keeping it? at the moment I qualify 3 fold - Youth Allowance/did HSC in regional area and have medical issues.

HSC
sweetgurl said:
im also in the same position. i want to get a transfer at the end of the year and wondering if the university takes into account that my EAS application was accepted for 2005. does usyd have this special consideration for tertiary applicants as well?
Nope, the unis take it as a clean slate: the fact that you did or didn't apply for EAS is not considered. That's why they have the SCATS or for USyd Special COnsideration for admission scheme. Or that's what they told me, anyway. But then the stupid Usyd guy i talked to on the phone said that they dont allow you to have "two bites at the pie" and if you have a record of tertiary study, you cant get consideration for secondary school problems. but that was going against what the usyd guy said to me, when i went to visit them. but yeah, better call up the unis to check though... they're very secretive and cagey with some of their comments, the guy at UNSW was basically refusing to acknowledge that they have the NRSL index and that it was different to the UAI until I actually asked him if it was the case. Then he was going "uh...yeah....". Actually, the guy at usyd was even worse; gave no info away. he was trying to tell me the NRSL was the same as the UAI; 99.6....yeahhh....
:rolleyes:

Firefly05

HSC
Interestingly I got a call the other day asking for my EAS application so they could look at it too

Shawny

if u wanan transfer to law internally or externally
study hard in yr1

u can't transfer in yr2

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Firefly05 said:
Interestingly I got a call the other day asking for my EAS application so they could look at it too
It is funny though that they have acknowledged that you were disadvantaged when you got your UAI but somehow that same disadvantage that they recognised a year ago doesn't apply to your same UAI score when you're transferring :rolleyes:

Firefly05

HSC
Oh, I think thats just because its a different uni. I assume thats why they asked for it.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Yes, it should.

The UAI is a product of UAC. EAS is a product of UAC. If the uni wants to use your UAI, they also need to use your EAS.

Otherwise, they'd have to use your raw HSC marks, or just your uni marks.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Rob, that's incorrect. I have asked UNSW and they wont consider EAS, if you are applying for a transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)