Transfering to Commerce (1 Viewer)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Hi,

My friend wants to do commerce at unsw in 2004, but her uai was 95. What are her options?
I was thinking she enrol into Economics and transfer after a year. Are the units done in first year similar?
Thanks alot for any input :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes the subjects in 1st year commerce are exactly the same as the subjects in 1st year economics

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
I was hoping that. good stuff!

What requirements need to be met to make the transfer? eg. gpa etc.
thanks
Since it'll be a UAC transfer, the further away the UAI is to the commerce cutoff, the harder ur friend has to work in 1st yr...say if u get into economics, u'd prolly need a GPA between 5.5 and 6.0
thats my guess anyway, coz i dunno the NSRL cutoffs for commerce...as a guide, the NSRL cutoff for Law this year was 95.80

HSC
altho she was jus a bit off the uai cut off for commerce she'll b able to make it...:D

vegeta_316

Hey,

I'm in a similar position. My UAI is 94.6 so I'm doing a B Economics hoping to transfer into B Commerce mainly because I want to major in Actuarial Studies.

I'm confused on one thing. If the subjects in 1st year Commerce are exactly the same as the subjects in 1st year Economics does that mean I can do the same subjects 1st year in my BEc degree as a person in a BCom degree who majors in Actuarial Studies?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by vegeta_316
Hey,

I'm in a similar position. My UAI is 94.6 so I'm doing a B Economics hoping to transfer into B Commerce mainly because I want to major in Actuarial Studies.

I'm confused on one thing. If the subjects in 1st year Commerce are exactly the same as the subjects in 1st year Economics does that mean I can do the same subjects 1st year in my BEc degree as a person in a BCom degree who majors in Actuarial Studies?
I did exactly the same as u
I did B Economics in 1st year and I transferred into B Commerce this year.

About ur actuarial question - yes the subjects are the same, except if u do an Actuarial major in 1st year, u have to do MATH1151 instead of ECON1202 in 1st semester(a core subject for commerce/eco) and MATH1251 and ACTL1001 instead of ECON1203 and one of your other electives in 2nd semester.
I suggest u try enrolling in those classes I mentioned online, and if it doesnt let u, email the Faculty or go to the advising day and ask if u can enrol in those courses

MrA

will those courses be wasted if u cant transfer into BCom (ACST) and u end up staying in BEcon?

kaseita

i was advised last year that if i wanted to do actuarial studies, it had to be in first year, otherwise i'd have to spend another year to finish it
i don't think you'll be allowed to enrol in the actuarial subjects unless u specifically choose to do actuarial as your major now, and u can only do that as a commerce student.

are u sure u'd be able to handle actuarial studies? looking at ur uai, it doesn't look like u may be able to, unless u seriously didn't work at all during hsc, or happened to do badly in a few subjects besides maths.

kaseita

it won't really be wasted if u decided to stay in BEcon, since the math means u exclude qma/b. actl1001 would be wasted, but that's only one subject, so it wouldn't really affect u much (or shouldn't)

Matthew_152

Originally posted by Minai
I did exactly the same as u
I did B Economics in 1st year and I transferred into B Commerce this year

- Minai, why did u transfer from Economics to Commerce...is the commerce degree more prestigious or something?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Matthew_152
- Minai, why did u transfer from Economics to Commerce...is the commerce degree more prestigious or something?
Because I didn't want to major in economics, I wanted to do accounting and international business cause they interest me more than eco (I couldnt do both in B.Eco cause one of your majors has to be an economics one)

Matthew_152

Fair enough...I was wondering if I should transfer to commerce next year also...but I dont really have any reason to since i'm hoping to major in Economics and Accounting.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I agree, no need
since Accounting - u get equal recognition in a B.Ec or B.Com
and Economics..u are recognised as a Professional Economist with a B.Ec

Matthew_152

ok thanx...i will just stay with B.Ec then..... Also, I have chosen to major in Accounting and Economics...and also minor in commercial law...do u think that the subjects in my course structure mix well together?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)