Transferring From WSU to Macquarie Uni By Next Semester... (1 Viewer)

PikaAnime123

HSC
Hey there!
I've been in WSU doing Bachelor of Cyber Security and Behaviour as a first year student in the Autumn Semester this year. With the semester pretty much ending, I am thinking of dropping out of this course and transferring to Macquarie University to pursue Bachelor of International Studies with Major in Japanese Studies. I just have two questions I would like to ask regarding this.

1. Can a first year that has only almost completed a semster worth of studies be elegible for transferring universities? If it seems like I'm going to fail one unit out of four units that I'm currently studying, will that affect my ability for transferring?

2. Do we apply for a transfer through UAC by making a new application and having to pay the $70 processing charge again?

I would really appreciate if anyone could answer these two concerns of mine. Thank you so very much!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Looking at Macquarie University's "Transfer to Macquarie" page (https://page.mq.edu.au/transfer-to-macquarie.html), it doesn't seem like there are any strict requirements in terms of how much study you need to have completed at your current uni. Since you currently don't have final results for any of your subjects at WSU, MQ will consider your application based on your ATAR because you recently completed year 12.

2. Yes, I believe that is the case. Macquarie University states "You should apply to Macquarie University via the Universities Admissions Centre if you are:
  • currently studying at another university"
From: https://www.mq.edu.au/study/admissions/how-to-apply/applying

There are of course other cases which you can have a look at using the link above, but I've included the one that applies to you.

I hope this helps, good luck with your transfer! :D

Last edited:

MoaZodeong

HSC
Hey there!
I've been in WSU doing Bachelor of Cyber Security and Behaviour as a first year student in the Autumn Semester this year. With the semester pretty much ending, I am thinking of dropping out of this course and transferring to Macquarie University to pursue Bachelor of International Studies with Major in Japanese Studies. I just have two questions I would like to ask regarding this.

1. Can a first year that has only almost completed a semster worth of studies be elegible for transferring universities? If it seems like I'm going to fail one unit out of four units that I'm currently studying, will that affect my ability for transferring?

2. Do we apply for a transfer through UAC by making a new application and having to pay the $70 processing charge again?

I would really appreciate if anyone could answer these two concerns of mine. Thank you so very much!
you fucking idiot and why would you transfer from cyber security to international studies

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
you fucking idiot and why would you transfer from cyber security to international studies
I'm assuming OP has an interest in the Japanese language/culture, as evidenced by her username, profile picture and most importantly, the language she wishes to study as her major within her new degree.

The transfer to a Bachelor of International Studies from a Bachelor of Cyber Security and Behaviour is indeed interesting as they're completely different areas of study, but I guess it's the student's interests and passion that matter in the end.

PikaAnime123

HSC
1. Looking at Macquarie University's "Transfer to Macquarie" page (https://page.mq.edu.au/transfer-to-macquarie.html), it doesn't seem like there are any strict requirements in terms of how much study you need to have completed at your current uni. Since you currently don't have final results for any of your subjects at WSU, MQ will consider your application based on your ATAR because you recently completed year 12.

2. Yes, I believe that is the case. Macquarie University states "You should apply to Macquarie University via the Universities Admissions Centre if you are:

There are of course other cases which you can have a look at using the link above, but I've included the one that applies to you.

If it’s not 1 whole year they’ll just use your ATAR only.
Thank you very much jimmysmith560 and quickoats! I'm extremely glad that only my ATAR and HSC marks will be considered for the application if that's the case. I'll be making a new UAC application and just pray things will go well I supoose. Thank you both of you for your replies!

PikaAnime123

HSC
Thank you very much for your time in caring about a complete stranger like me to the point of warning me something I have heard many times before! I've come to realise that the computer science industry isn't something that I would be able to commit into pursuing for my whole life. Just like jimmysmith500 suggests, I found studying Japanese to be something I can be more passionate about ^^ Besides, to me, pursuing a career just because it's part of a growing and stable industry with more job opportunities feels like it's more of a setup for failure if you don't have complete passion or interest in it...

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you very much for your time in caring about a complete stranger like me to the point of warning me something I have heard many times before! I've come to realise that the computer science industry isn't something that I would be able to commit into pursuing for my whole life. Just like jimmysmith500 suggests, I found studying Japanese to be something I can be more passionate about ^^ Besides, to me, pursuing a career just because it's part of a growing and stable industry with more job opportunities feels like it's more of a setup for failure if you don't have complete passion or interest in it...
Agreed except that lots of people don't have a passion (including me), and we're just doing a degree that we "don't mind doing". Like for me I don't mind studying actuarial studies but it's not like I have a dying passion for it. Good luck on the transfer, should be fine since the transfer will use ATAR only!

HSC

Hey, I know this is a bit of an old post but just need to know. How long must study at wsu or acu until Macquarie dosent count my atar? Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I know this is a bit of an old post but just need to know. How long must study at wsu or acu until Macquarie dosent count my atar? Thanks
I believe you need to undertake at least one year of full-time study (or part-time equivalent) at either WSU or ACU before you can attempt to transfer to MQ and have your application assessed on your university results rather than your ATAR.

HSC
I believe you need to undertake at least one year of full-time study (or part-time equivalent) at either WSU or ACU before you can attempt to transfer to MQ and have your application assessed on your university results rather than your ATAR.
Okay thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)