Transferring froma Double Degree. PLEASE HELP! PRefs nearly closing! (1 Viewer)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
Help people! The preferences will be closed very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! arrggg!!! I just wanted to ask,
if i take on a double degree say BA/BLaw, and the next year I just want to keep the Law degree and change the other one tp B of Psychology, can that be possible? Or do I have to leave all 2 degrees in order to transfer?

Please help! I really need the answer in order to decide!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think you'd have to satisfy the BA-Psych transfer, which is something like 12 cp and 2.0 (or is it 2.5) gpa?

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
I think you'd have to satisfy the BA-Psych transfer, which is something like 12 cp and 2.0 (or is it 2.5) gpa?
2.5 for the BA - Psych, I believe.

Jessica: You can easily transfer from your BA degree to your BA-Psych degree. Like Asy said, you just need to get a GPA of at least 2.5 (between a pass [2] and a credit [3] average). Your law degree stays where it is and isn't touched. You just need to be careful about what BA units you do in first year because you want these to eventually count to your BA-Psych degree. This is something to keep in mind at enrolment when you speak with an academic advisor - don't worry about it too much now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
The thing is I want to know whether Id like law or not but also I want an Honours in Psychology real badly! And I dont think Ill get that in BA...its more valuable in straigh BPsych Honours. So your saying it is possibly to cut your Double degree in half ?

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
OOH THANSK A MILLION YUEX!! MUAHS MUAH!! hahah Im so relieved now! Omg you dont know how much better that made me feel ! although I dont know what the high scholl equivalent of a GPA.... >_<

X

xeuyrawp

Jessica_00 said:
The thing is I want to know whether Id like law or not but also I want an Honours in Psychology real badly! And I dont think Ill get that in BA...its more valuable in straigh BPsych Honours. So your saying it is possibly to cut your Double degree in half ?
Oh sorry, I read BA-Psych not BPsych.

You cannot do a combined BPsych LLB degree. You have to do a BA-Psych LLB. This is good for you, because if you did a BA-Psych LLB, you could still do honours in your psych degree, so a BA-Psych(Hons) LLB would be what you graduated with.

I have no idea what the transfer requirements are for the BPsych, but that doesn't seem relevant to you because of your wanting to do law.

I'm not sure how a BA-Psych(Hons) compares with a BPsych(Hons), you'd have to ask one of the psych students. I know that if a BA-Psych(Hons) is 'equal' to a BPsych(Hons) when it comes to practicing psychology: Ie, both are equal in terms of qualifications.

If you enroll in a BA LLB this semester, I think you will only be allowed to transfer to a BA-Psych LLB next year. That means that all the law subjects will stay the same (ie, your LLB degree will be the same), but your other degree will change. The problem is that the BA-Psych is quite inflexible, and you'd thus have to chose wisely for this year in order for the maximum amount of units to be transferred over. Like I said, you need to speak with a psychology academic advisor.

X

xeuyrawp

Jessica_00 said:
OOH THANSK A MILLION YUEX!! MUAHS MUAH!! hahah Im so relieved now! Omg you dont know how much better that made me feel ! although I dont know what the high scholl equivalent of a GPA.... >_<
Haha, I hope we helped. Sorry I confused your initial BPsych for a BA-Psych. If you want to do law, though, you need to do a BA-Psych.

Personally, if I were you, I would try to enrol in the BA-Psych LLB rather than a BA LLB. If you want to try other units (electives) in your first year, you can: in the BA-Psych LLB, you've got around two electives which you mayaswell spend earlier in your degree to see if you like any other subjects. Trying other subjects is better done earlier rather than later.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
From memory, you still have to compete with all psych students after 3rd year to get into honours, regardless of which strand of the degree you did, can one of your psychers confirm ?

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
No no see the degree on offer that Im choosing is in fact BA-Psych/BLaw but I was hoping to change it to BPsych/BLaw the 2nd year..I was hoping to keep the law degree (in the double degree) and change the BA to a B of Psycholoy Honours...like swapping for another one you get what I mean? Is that possible?

I would rather be a Psychologist than I lawyer, thats why I would want a BPsych (hons) because I hear its much higher than a Bachelor of Arts Majoring inPsych (Hons). Can anyone confirm?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
there is no such thing, that i know of, of a bpsych/law, as someone mentioned. if you're doing the double with law, you also have to do b arts psych
degrees offered at mac - http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/generalsearch.php?edition=2007&searchParam=psych

i don't think it's much higher to have a bpsych hons rather than barts psych hons, it's exactly the same thing. from what i understand, you can do barts-psych (hons) diped, barts-psych(hons)/llb OR bpsych(hons) [meaning that there is no such thing as a barts-psych(hons)], but that would have to be confirmed by someone else.

useful thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...-psych-uai.html?highlight=honours#post2510900

also maybe the name of this thread should be changed to have psych somewhere in it? the psychs visit less often than they used to don't read every thread. or you could pm them (cyan_phoenix, Mary Jane, Skittled, clairegirl but she is on holidays) to read this thread jessica.

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
iambored is correct. And a change thread title is in need.

I was in a similar predicament in my first year Jessica before I got over psych and dropped it. Here are my thoughts on your situation:

* There is no such thing as a BPsy-LLB.

* Just because you are in the BPsy(Hon) degree does not necessarily entitle you to do your honours year (there are strict GPA requirements).

* If you think you might like law, try the BA-Psy LLB for your first year. No harm in that as the first year psych units for ALL Psy degrees are the same (PSY104, PSY105, STAT170).

* NOTE: BA-Psy LLB is NOT intended for those interesting in practising as a registered Psychologist, with students who wish to follow that line of employment often dropping the LLB after 1 year.

* A normal completion of BA-Psy LLB will NOT allow you do do honours and masters and become registered as a psychologist.

* If you are sure you wish to practice in Psych then do BPsych (though really, who can be sure what they want to do for the rest of their life at 18 these days)

* Some food for thought: Most students undertaking Psy units don't end up working as registered psychologists (maybe someone still doing Psych can confirm this). Just under half LLB grads at Macquarie work as practising lawyers.

* A BA-Psy/LLB will provide broader career options than a BPsy(Hons) or BA-Psy.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
* NOTE: BA-Psy LLB is NOT intended for those interesting in practising as a registered Psychologist, with students who wish to follow that line of employment often dropping the LLB after 1 year.

* A normal completion of BA-Psy LLB will NOT allow you do do honours and masters and become registered as a psychologist.
Can you explain why you can't do a BA-Psy(Hons) LLB and become a practicing psychologist?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Can you explain why you can't do a BA-Psy(Hons) LLB and become a practicing psychologist?
You can. What I said was that a 'normal' completion of the BA-Psy-LLB won't allow you to be eligible for Hons.

The combined degree does not include the 2 Research Method units at 200-level, and only requires 12 credit pts at 300-level instead of the mandatory 16. One can do these extra units in addition to the requirements the combined degree should one wish.

Having said that, why anyone would put themselves through 5 years of law school only to do extra units to possibly be eligible for Psych honours is beyond me, *shrugs*, but it can certainly be done.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)