transferring in2 law (1 Viewer)

hey..

if im doing a bachelor of business at uts and want 2 add a law component - so im doing a double degree, is it 2 late 2 transfer for semester 2?

also, if it is 2 late, will i be able 2 get into biz/law with a HD/D average or will i get in based on my uai (which was a lil bit above this yrs 98.something cut off)?

ta muchly

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
law doesn't allow mid-year transfers, unfortunately, but you can transfer at the end of your first year... so that your pattern of study for next year will be a full year of (first year) law.

go to the law information office, level 3, Building 5B for more details on internal transfers :)

ahh ok thanx

so will that mean that when ur studying subjects like marketing, because ive already done it, ill just do law subjects instead?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
nopes, i will be doing marketing in semester 2 this year.

it means that next year, while i'm doing a combination of law and business subjects like BizInfoAnalysis, you will be doing straight law subjects.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
There are so many students wanting to add Law to their degree's... I wonder how many apply and how many out of those get in.

Anyone have any statistics?

addz

HSC
at unsw...they add like 50 or so first year transfers into law...
dont know exact number...but that's my guess

considering about 20 of them are in my first year foundations class..

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
But we have to remember that people drop law, mostly because it is an evil subject which earns the hatred of students.... well some students at least.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Raiks
But we have to remember that people drop law, mostly because it is an evil subject which earns the hatred of students.... well some students at least.
Law rulz Raiks! :D
Out of 220? About 80 of them drop out in the middle of FIRST semester. :pn That's what I've experienced anyway so far. :p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Well the people dropping out in 1st semester are usually the ones who just aren't meant to be studying for law... usually 3rd semester drop outs are the ones who drop it because they've grown to just detest the course. :D

I think the large drop out rate has a lot to do with the 'i'll look smart if i do law' syndrome, people not doing the course for the right reasons and finding out you have to enjoy law to do it well.

HSC
Originally posted by Raiks
Well the people dropping out in 1st semester are usually the ones who just aren't meant to be studying for law... usually 3rd semester drop outs are the ones who drop it because they've grown to just detest the course. :D

I think the large drop out rate has a lot to do with the 'i'll look smart if i do law' syndrome, people not doing the course for the right reasons and finding out you have to enjoy law to do it well.

you can add me to the statistics, but... i didnt drop out because 'it wasnt meant for me', i am a quick learner and realised before 3rd semester that i 'detest' it :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by krayziekarnevil
you can add me to the statistics, but... i didnt drop out because 'it wasnt meant for me', i am a quick learner and realised before 3rd semester that i 'detest' it :)
hurrah, another person who has woken up and realised that law is detestable. :D

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
So true santa, so true :D :D

I acutally tolerated the first year of law but by then I'd simply had a gutful of it... I didn't really drop out, it was more of just kicking law and deciding that law sucked and I wanted to become a commerce/arts student instead... and it's probably the best decision i've ever made behind choosing UOW as my uni of course. :D

mack

Banned
HSC
Someone who truly wants to pursue law as their vocation. The people who drop out after first semester make it so obvious that they have chosen it purelybecause of the high cut-off and "prestige", which quite frankly pisses me off.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Um, it did? Or was there a post in between that's been since deleted?

Anyway, I agree with you...to a point. There are some who aren't sure whether they are really made for law or not, who take it on to find out. For myself I very much enjoy reading about the law and the way it evolves (some of my law friends get a bit freaked out when I call their study cases "interesting") but I won't really know if I'm made for Law unless I actually study it. It may only take me a semester to figure out whether or not I'm the right cut, or it may take two years - but in either case I can't know until I try it. This is why I reserve judgement on those first-semester dropouts, because without knowing the details of each individual case you can't be certain that it's all about prestige and moolah.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
What would make for a suitable law student? In my opinion -

1. Interest
I'd say interest is number one priority. There are so many students (typically com/law students :p ) who just do law for the sake of the degree, to boost their credentials. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, but to those who want a pure career with law it can be very agitating. Particularly when they complain that its boring, etc.

2. English Skills
Its not a prerequisite, but typically, clarity of expression and articulate thought are the qualities of a good lawyer (the words of the Sydney law school dean). If you've ever read a Jane Austen novel and hated it because you don't like the language, you're going to really dislike reading cases, because this is exactly how judges write! To be sure.

3. Problem-Solving & Logic Skills
As well as English, the ability to systematically tackle decisions and work through them logically is another good thing to have.

4. An Open Mind
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)