Transferring into Law? (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking of transferring to Economics/Law @ UNSW, and I just want to kno roughly wat kind of 1st yr result's I'd need cos I'm not really sure...I think i'll decide based on semester 1 results as to whether it would be worth applying to UAC in the first place

kini mini

HSC
Coming to join us are you Minai? :p

Didn't James day something about a distinction average (roughly)?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
This year, the non-recent school leaver (NRSL) cut-off was 95.80 (at USYD it was 96.47).

When transferring, your university grades are turned into a grade point average (GPA), which is converted to a 'selection rank' (comparable to a UAI). This is averaged with your UAI to give your NRSL rank.

For a UAI of 95.25, a selection rank of 96.35 would have been needed to be exactly on the cut-off.

A distinction average equates to a selection rank of 96. Upgrading two of those distinctions (assuming a normal course load) to high distinctions would result in a selection rank of 97, putting you over the cut-off.

Details on calculating GPAs and conversation tables for selection ranks can be found here (PDF). The document states that it explains the system used by SCU - this also just happens to be the same as that used by USYD and UNSW.

Keep in mind that the marks you receive progressively for assessments are not necessarily indicative of your final marks. University scaling is even more convoluted than HSC scaling (and much more biased).

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
omg..that means with a uai of like 94..u will need like a HD average? i'll have no chance of getting into com/law then!

oh do you know what the selection rank for com/law at macq was?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by orangeguy
oh do you know what the selection rank for com/law at macq was?
[All of the below was edited - decided to revise my original answer.]

I know only that the selection rank was lower. I have been told in the past that Macquarie uses a different NRSL selection system to USYD and UNSW - however, I personally think that it is unlikely that they would use a different GPA/Rank conversion table.

I've also been told that it's easier to transfer to Macquarie.

The university itself might be able to tell you more. Some universities (such as UNSW, grr) are reluctant to do so. You should contact the Admissions Office at Macquarie, as they would have records of the past NRSL cut-offs, and might be willing to provide it to you. Quite often though you'll find that you're speaking to someone who really doesn't know what they're talking about, and will claim something outrageous, such as there being no difference between NRSL cut-offs and HECS cut-offs. Or they'll claim that they don't publish those cut-offs. You just need to move up the chain and talk to the next person. :) USYD and UNSW both give out the cut-offs (eventually, after enough inquiries).

Macquarie also have their own forum here, where transferring into law is a FAQ. I think you will have already gleaned what you can from there, though.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
And, again, as a further addendum, I've also heard that there's an actual application you need to make when transferring to law at Macquarie (which requires you to answer specific questions). It seems highly likely that your selection rank would be 'upgraded' if you answered the questions particularly well.

I think a similar 'personal statement' system is used by UTS.

Sorry, that's all the info I have on Macquarie. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks Laz,

Hmm I dont have much of a chance looking at those tables, but I'll see how it goes
yeah I havent taken into account scaling or anything, jus how I'll think I'll go in raw assessments (being hypocritical here!)

How do they determine scaling at Uni? is it along the same lines of HSC (canditure ability etc?)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
How do they determine scaling at Uni? is it along the same lines of HSC (canditure ability etc?)
Nope, not nearly as fair as that, heh.

It's all bell curved... generally, the top 4% or so of students receive HDs, the top 15% or so receive D or better, etc... it differs depending on the faculty, I think, and none of them are too keen to explain it.

The best way to exploit university scaling is to take the 'higher' and 'advanced' units of study (and then to perform at least reasonably well). Higher streams are scaled in a similar (but not identical) way to HSC extension courses. The exam papers for all streams will contain a few common questions, and each stream will be scaled according to the performance of that stream on those common questions. After this initial scaling, all of the streams are then combined and bell curved together.

The majority of Ds and HDs are hence obviously awarded to students in the highest stream, and it's reasonably difficult for a student in the lowest stream to be awarded such a grade.

If there is only a single stream for a particular unit of study, you simply need to be ranked as highly as you can. Try to maximise your marks in the assessment tasks you're given, as they're always easier than the final exam. In the mathematical subjects, it's generally not too difficult a task to receive 100% for your assignments; students habitually share solutions (after making a reasonable attempt themselves, naturally). If you're consistent in your assessments, and then make a good attempt at the exam, you should be pleasantly surprised.

Finally, your assessment percentile would likely give a reasonable indication of your final scaled mark. It's not always provided, though. Sometimes they release the marks for the entire unit of study (equated with student IDs) on the subject website, in which case you can copy them into Excel and work your percentile out yourself. Sometimes bugging your lecturer through emails works. Sometimes you just have to guess. :)

G'luck!

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus

In the mathematical subjects, it's generally not too difficult a task to receive 100% for your assignments; students habitually share solutions (after making a reasonable attempt themselves, naturally). If you're consistent in your assessments, and then make a good attempt at the exam, you should be pleasantly surprised.

firstly, you guys gets maths assessments!?!?! what the hell.... we ALWAYS get tests.

secondly, after you explanation, it makes me realise how glad I am to have made it law straight from school.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by jessika
secondly, after you explanation, it makes me realise how glad I am to have made it law straight from school.
Mmm yes
I coulda got into law at macquarie or UWS, but I simply didn't want to go down that path

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)