Transferring into Veterinary Science (1 Viewer)

pjiggy

HSC
hi,
just a random question to anyone who's ever been able to transfer or can help me.
If I'm looking to transfer into vet science at the end of this year , and this year is my second year of uni, will the uni look at just my second year marks or my first year marks as well?
And also, if anyone has been lucky enough to be transferred , how hard is it? I know it's extremely competitive but what would I want to get in terms of marks and how much volunteer work/work experience etc?
I'm currently doing animal and veterinary bioscience if that helps
Any help would be much appreciated and thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.
:)

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC
Hey
I tried to transfer at the end of first year and was unsuccessful. It is super competitive and you need a very high GPA! I think they will look at both of your years at uni as it is the grade point average you have accumulated in your degree. They definitely don't look at ATARs.

In terms of marks you need a distinction average, probably slightly over. You also definitely need to get involved with volunteer based work experience. I did it weekly for the whole of last year. I would also recommend getting experience in a range of fields not just small animals. I know that as part of your degree you get a lot of experience so that will definitely help. But you need to show them that you went beyond that.. its all about proving how dedicated and committed you are to veterinary science.

Good luck, hope it works out :)

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
Hi, I'm in my second year of vet.
I got into Sydney, Melbourne, Wagga and Adelaide after doing a bachelor of animal science & management.

Becky is incorrect that they don't look at your ATAR. Some unis still ask for it/may be able to obtain it when considering your application. We were told that it is mainly used as a borderline criteria, ie. you might have gotten a UAI/ATAR of 90, and then done a year of science and gotten a couple of marks in the low 70s or 60s or something but the rest high marks, which would usually put you on the borderline, so they look at your UAI/ATAR as a measure of your ability as a student.
Vet is really challenging and requires a lot of discipline, so they only want to accept students who can show they are able to keep up with the demand.
As for what year of study they look at, it's generally more your most recent year of study, as that is the best indicator of how you will perform if you get in. Marks from 2..3..4 years ago may not be a good indicator because who knows what you were going through at the time. They will still look at them, but the most recent year is going to matter the most...especially if you show a huge improvement in marks. It shows you can be disciplined etc.

Becky is correct about the work experience... I did a range of stuff from volunteering for birds Australia doing data entry, volunteering for a shelter, working in various vet clinics, work experience at vet clinics, working in a pet shop etc etc.
It's also a good idea to write a letter supporting your application to show your interest in the course. They WILL read it!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)