Transferring to international studies? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm starting B. Business Administration / Arts in European Studies next year (4 years full time) but I am considering trying to transfer to a B. Business Administration / International Studies (3 years full time) at some point.

I'm a newbie so please don't mind my ignorance of all things uni-related! I just have a few questions, especially for anyone who has transferred within Macquarie...

- the UAI for BBA/International Studies was 96.1 this year, is this close enough to my UAI (90.3) so that it won't be toodifficult for me to transfer?
- I know that I'll have to work hard but is there a certain level I would need to be at (eg distinction average) to be considered for a transfer?
- do they take into account extra-curriculars as well? I think I'm going to be so excited about uni after my year off that I'll sign up for just about anything..
- and do I apply to transfer after 1 year? If not, how long do I wait?

If anyone could share experiences of transferring/what you went through to do it I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for the easiest way to transfer neccessarily (I'm prepared to work very hard if I decide that I want International Studies), I just want to consider my options.

Oh and if anyone could clarify the difference between European Studies and International Studies please let me know, because from what I've seen on the website they seem really similar (both include option for exchanges and compulsory language study etc), just one year of length and a 10 UAI point difference!

*hopes that no one yells at me to email Macquarie and stop wasting forum space*

Thanks in advance!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha no one is going to yell at you, welcome to the MQ forums :)

Ok: there are two kinds of transfers available at MQ, one of them is pretty unique, thats the internal transfer, the other is the normal external transfer.

The difference between them is:

Internal transfers use (usually) your GPA alone.
External transfers are done through UAC and so they take a portion of your UAI and your GPA and accord you with a NRSL rank.

Now the problem lies in that there doesn't appear to be much information on the BIS course transfer at this stage, but internally I remember it being very high, something like 3.75 I think. (just under a distinction average).

Contact the undergraduate studies for specific requirements, since I can't find the specific details on it, I think I might've spotted it on an 'unofficial' sheet.

Phone: 9850 7314

As far as I know, it is a direct GPA - Internal system, and has little to do with submissions of extra-curricular activities and what not.

Externally, you can refer to the thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/45647/topic-university-transfers.html

I'll try and find more info for you, but your best bet would be to call the office and confirm the details, since it is a new course, there is very little information out on it at this stage :(

HSC
thank you so much, that was really helpful :D

hopefully i can find out more by the time i start next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)