Transferring to medicine (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
Soryr if this has been asked before. Is it possible to transfer to medicine after completing one year of combined law at usyd? If this is possible, what are the requirements involved?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes you can (UNSW MBBS). The uni uses 50% of your first year mark and 50% of your UAI. You will need to sit the UMAT or use your past UMAT results, plus an interview.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Though the option sounds dangerously competitive...

transferring into MBBS mid year... hmmm...
Stay in USyd and do grad med!!!! ^^

ssglain

HSC
xiao1985 said:
Though the option sounds dangerously competitive...

transferring into MBBS mid year... hmmm...
Stay in USyd and do grad med!!!! ^^
Stay in USYD, finish combined law then enter graduate med means 5 + 4 = 9 years. This girl who came to my school last year to give one of those "we're so great, come to us" talks did that.

@Danger: If you have enough UAI to get into combined law at USYD then you will stand a very good chance to get into most undergraduate MBBS programs, or even combined med at USYD - why bother doing combined law for 1 year and then transfer?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
ssglain said:
Stay in USYD, finish combined law then enter graduate med means 5 + 4 = 9 years. This girl who came to my school last year to give one of those "we're so great, come to us" talks did that.

@Danger: If you have enough UAI to get into combined law at USYD then you will stand a very good chance to get into most undergraduate MBBS programs, or even combined med at USYD - why bother doing combined law for 1 year and then transfer?
which is why you do BSc or BMedSci then do grad med...

= 4+3 = 7 years

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I thought about doing law for a year aswell but yeh it would be pointless if your doing law but really have a desire to do med. Unless you wana do med litigation then i would suggest going to monash and trying to get into LLB/MBBS in 2nd year from med. Also there are quite a few graduate med students doing law at UNSW. Also it can be very dificult to maintain a good GPA because of the calibre of the stuents in law esp at usyd and unsw. Also you won't be able to do electives till 4th year so theirs not much of a point doin law for one year, you'll be stuch doing fundamentals, torts/contracts urgh, while doin another undergrad degree. Also consider doing straight undergrad law at UTS.

markzada said:
He probably didn't do UMAT. That's the only logical thing I can think of.
He's an 08'er. Presumably.

xiao1985 said:
which is why you do BSc or BMedSci then do grad med...

= 4+3 = 7 years
Maybe he wants to do law coz he likes it aswell. Not all people do undergrad sci just to do med, but yeh it's favourable esp with Gamsat.

ssglain said:
Maybe it's his back up plan if he doesn't get into med after trasfering or isn't ever able to transfer in.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)