Transferring to UNSW aeronautical engineering (1 Viewer)

mahdi

HSC
I am currently at usyd but due to a few reasons i am thinking about going to UNSW. I have a few questions that i could use some answers for:

(1) At usyd i know that the university pays for flight school for all aeronautical engineers. Im not sure how many hours we do, but we definately do flight school. Is this the same at UNSW ?

(2) Is it not to late to transfer for second semester ? or do i have to wait till next year ? (I really could look this up myself, but seeing as im already on BoS i may aswell ask it).

(3) By the end of this year i would have done calculus (differential and integral), linear algebra, stats, physics, dynamics and learnt how to use matlab (and only matlab). Have i learnt different stuff to what UNSW engineers would have learnt? I dont really want to transfer and then realise that im expected to know other areas of maths and how to use java (or whatever).

(4) Usyd states on their website that their aeronautical/mechanical school is the best in NSW. However, the only place i have actually seen this is on usyd's website. I know UNSW is 'the engineering uni', but is the aeronautical school over there not up to scratch?

These questions (especially 1 and 3) mean alot to me atm, so thanks alot for any answers

henry08

HSC
N/A
Don't quote me, but I'm, fairly sure you have to pay for your own flight training.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I am currently at usyd but due to a few reasons i am thinking about going to UNSW. I have a few questions that i could use some answers for:

(1) At usyd i know that the university pays for flight school for all aeronautical engineers. Im not sure how many hours we do, but we definately do flight school. Is this the same at UNSW ?

(2) Is it not to late to transfer for second semester ? or do i have to wait till next year ? (I really could look this up myself, but seeing as im already on BoS i may aswell ask it).

(3) By the end of this year i would have done calculus (differential and integral), linear algebra, stats, physics, dynamics and learnt how to use matlab (and only matlab). Have i learnt different stuff to what UNSW engineers would have learnt? I dont really want to transfer and then realise that im expected to know other areas of maths and how to use java (or whatever).

(4) Usyd states on their website that their aeronautical/mechanical school is the best in NSW. However, the only place i have actually seen this is on usyd's website. I know UNSW is 'the engineering uni', but is the aeronautical school over there not up to scratch?

These questions (especially 1 and 3) mean alot to me atm, so thanks alot for any answers
Stick to the uni you're in, USyd is fine for Aeronautical (hence why the cutoffs are pretty high, implies couse is in high demand).

I believe UNSW Engineers use Maple rather than Matlab, so that could be a factor.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Stick to the uni you're in, USyd is fine for Aeronautical (hence why the cutoffs are pretty high, implies couse is in high demand).

I believe UNSW Engineers use Maple rather than Matlab, so that could be a factor.
Matlab is also used later on.

To OP: At UNSW the Aeronatical Engineers learn either VBA or C++ depending on which computing course they choose, but I don't think there will be much programming in the degree. The Maths and Physics you learnt looks pretty much the same as we did.

mahdi

HSC
hang on... are you talking about aeronautical engineering or b sc (aviation)?
Aeronautical engineering. Sometimes people are suprised that sydney uni pays for flight school. I assumed UNSw would aswell.

If UNSW doesnt offer atleast subsidised flight school i think i will stay at sydney - just because its such a good oppurtunity.

And its really hard to find out this information - on usyd's aero website they mention nothing about flight school.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
why do something there's no scope in the country at?
And yes a lot of people say 'oh I'm gonna go overseas once I finish my aeronautical engineering degree'...overseas my ass, do you know how many other people do the same thing? Besides its kick-ass competitive 'overseas'. So good luck, I hope you achieve what you're aiming for!

PS. Stick to USYD

laluna

HSC
N/A
unsw engineers use matlab more than maple, but i suppose that can vary depending on the type of engineering...

duckcowhybrid

HSC
unsw engineers use matlab more than maple, but i suppose that can vary depending on the type of engineering...
I dunno, i was just reading through the UNSW First Year maths courses description and in MATH1131/41 Maple seemed to be mentioned a lot whereas in MATH1151 it specifically stated use of Matlab over Maple (which the other maths courses use).

laluna

HSC
N/A
I dunno, i was just reading through the UNSW First Year maths courses description and in MATH1131/41 Maple seemed to be mentioned a lot whereas in MATH1151 it specifically stated use of Matlab over Maple (which the other maths courses use).
true. first year maths favors maple (except for finance maths), but i was referring to the 4 years of engineering courses as a whole - we didn't use maple anymore after 1st year maths, whereas we use matlab a lot for all our other courses...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)