• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

transferring (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
since the uai cut off for arts/ commerce at usyd is now 95.4, if i did arts wat would the process be for getting into the combined degree after first year?

Jats

im actually wondering the same thing!! I wanted to do law and social science, but i havent got the marks. I was wondering what i wuld have to do after the 1st yr, if i did just plain social science........if i culd transfer into law and Soc Sci combined degree?? I think u have 2 get a credit average in ur course 2 transfer......

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
so its possible to do a single degree for a year and then transfer to a combined degree? i hope so coz im not too sure on getting 95.4 or possibly even higher due to cut offs rising agian next year

santaslayer

HSC
for both of ur question the simple answer is YES u can transfer...BUT
transfer is highly competitive and is calculated by:
50% uai and
50% uni marks.

for jats.....a uai of at least 98 is requires to be copmpetitive enuff for the combined law degrees coupled with high marks at uni...

for sarah168..same process as jats i think, except a lower uai is acceptable i think

Jats

well, ive actually heard diff so now i'm just confused. apparently its quite possible to transfer within the same uni, if u are transferring to a degree within the same department......for eg, social sci and law are in the same department......so i think as long as i do well in my 1st yr at social sci, i can transfer into a double degree?

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Jats
well, ive actually heard diff so now i'm just confused. apparently its quite possible to transfer within the same uni, if u are transferring to a degree within the same department......for eg, social sci and law are in the same department......so i think as long as i do well in my 1st yr at social sci, i can transfer into a double degree?
At UC, yes, Law and Social Science are in different schools but in the same Academic Division; BUT it doesn't really matter that much cause at UC all transfers are held internally and done by the central Admissions Committee.

It is still done competitively though; I mean if they have 1 space left and Student X got UAI of 85 and getting Credit, and Student Y got UAI of 85 and getting HD; they are obviously going to give the place to the 'best' student...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer

for jats.....a uai of at least 98 is requires to be copmpetitive enuff for the combined law degrees coupled with high marks at uni...

not exactly that high - last year u needed a UAI and first year GPA that averaged out to be 96.45 to be offered a place at USYD Law (ie if u got a UAI of 97 and a distinction average in 1st year, u wouldve made it)

...yeah actually they are quite high marks :p

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
how hard is it to get a distinction average in say a commerce degree, in the first year at usyd?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
amoz_lilo said:
how hard is it to get a distinction average in say a commerce degree, in the first year at usyd?
not terribly hard if you work consistantly throughout the year (or are a naturally good crammer!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)