Transferring (1 Viewer)

rn21

HSC
I'm trying to find out how difficult it is to transfer between courses at macquarie and was wondering if anyone can explain to me how they have successfully transfered to a course such as law at macquarie, how difficult it was, what uai you obtained and what results you had to obtain in order to transfer to law.
I was also wondering if you can transfer after one semester or do you have to wait the entire year.

I was specificially wondering for a degree such as commerce to commerce / law.
I obtained a uai of 95.25 (2005 cutoff was 95.5) and was wondering what type of results i will need to obtain first year in order to transfer from commerce to commerce / law.

Please, anyone involved in transfering could you please share with me your experiences.

Thanks

Tabris

HSC
rn21 said:
I'm trying to find out how difficult it is to transfer between courses at macquarie and was wondering if anyone can explain to me how they have successfully transfered to a course such as law at macquarie, how difficult it was, what uai you obtained and what results you had to obtain in order to transfer to law.
I was also wondering if you can transfer after one semester or do you have to wait the entire year.

I was specificially wondering for a degree such as commerce to commerce / law.
I obtained a uai of 95.25 (2005 cutoff was 95.5) and was wondering what type of results i will need to obtain first year in order to transfer from commerce to commerce / law.

Please, anyone involved in transfering could you please share with me your experiences.

Thanks

Leave com/law as 1st preference and leave it there, dont change it. The UAI might drop this year and your so close so therse a chance u will get in, they dont use the 2005 UAI cut off to determine whether u get in or not.

BUT, if unfortunately dont make it, u can transfer. In order to transfer u need a Credit average or higher otherwise the competition might be too high and u will miss out. Another thing u need is 18CP, which means finished 6 units, or most likely for u, after 1 year of study. Once u have got these two things, get a transfer form, fill it in and hand it in, then u cross your fingers.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its a little harder for double degrees concerning law.

If you make it into B Comm, and want to transfer into the B Comm LLB then you'll need to apply after your first year, for the law quota. If you get accepted, then you can do the two first year LAW units. Pass these and you'll be all good for the combined degree.

The problem comes in getting into the quota, depending on the demand, you might need a GPA of at least 3.25+ (Credit+).

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
depending on the demand, you might need a GPA of at least 3.25+ (Credit+).
Judging by the phone conversation that I had with Maggie Liston, that sounds about right.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Judging by the phone conversation that I had with Maggie Liston, that sounds about right.
yeh maggie said gpa of 3 is in order...she also said most people attemption to transfer have a uai of around 90...i think they take half gpa, half uai...

X

xeuyrawp

Supra said:
yeh maggie said gpa of 3 is in order...she also said most people attemption to transfer have a uai of around 90...i think they take half gpa, half uai...
Yes, they take half your GPA, half your UAI, and divide the number by two. The top two students get the place.

Tabris

HSC
http://www.law.mq.edu.au/html/undergraduate/school_leavers_faq.htm#3

What is the UAI I will need to get into Law?

The 2005 UAI mark was 95.50 and the mark for 2006 should be similar.
Why is the Macquarie UAI for Law different from other Law schools?

The published UAI for entry into Combined Law is a function of the number of places offered to school-leavers and the number of applicants for those places. A very high UAI can be generated for example by only having a small group of school-leavers.

I have a UAI of 90. How can I get into your Law Program?

If you don't get a school-leaver place in Law you can undertake first year studying something other than Law then at the end of your first year you can apply to transfer into Combined Law (the "Macquarie Privilege").
Does it matter if I do first year at Macquarie or not?

All students may apply as a non-school leaver through UAC for transfer places across the tertiary sector.
BUT, if you study at Macquarie there is a pathway into Combined Law that is only available to Macquarie students. We reserve a number of spots for Macquarie Students who have completed 18 credit points or more of study at Macquarie (this usually occurs after year one): the “Macquarie Privilege”.
If you study at Macquarie you are also building your network of friendships that you could carry through your other years of study.

How well do I have to do in order to transfer internally into Law (the"Macquarie Privilege")

As a guide, you will need a UAI of 90 and obtain a Distinction average in first year.
To rank you we take half of your UAI and half of your grade point average. Excellent grades in first year may overcome a lower UAI. We then take around 30 students.
You can apply in your second year at Macquarie (but can be done in your third year).

Can I still finish my degree in 5 years?

If you are accepted in your second year at Macquarie to do first year law and you then successfully complete your first year of law, we can squeeze your law program up so that you can still finish the combined degree in your original five year period. If you are not accepted until your third year at Macquarie, to do your first year in law, we can still squeeze your law program up but it will take you an extra semester to complete your combined law degree, e.g. 5½ years.

Can I come into Law through SIBT?

No

What subjects should I take?

In the first three years of the Law Degree the Law subjects (units) are compulsory. There are no particular subjects you should do – except do things that interest you.

What makes Macquarie special?

This is a real campus: trees, birds, cicadas – even rabbits.
Mq Law students learn to ask much more than just the ‘how’ – how does it work, what are the rule; they learn to ask the big ‘why’ – both looking backward and forward: why is the law like it is; why should it be that way; why shouldn’t it be a different shape.
Mq Law students are encouraged to think critically and creatively.
Mq Law teachers are truly committed to what they do – great emphasis on diversity and inter-disciplinarity – revealing and exploring the connections between law and its wider social context.
There is an emphasis on the student – small-groups wherever possible, especially in the early years
What are my career prospects after completing my degree?

Most Macquarie Law graduates seem to get into a career of their choice. Law is an extremely useful generalist degree and a platform for many different careers. Combined Law study also gives you a double qualification.
How is the program taught - Lectures, Tutorials, hours per week, class sizes, exams, assignments etc?

The emphasis in the early years is on smaller group teaching. You should expect on average 4 hours per week of face to face teaching in your compulsory subjects. Optional subjects may be 2 or 4 hours a week (depending on credit points). Teaching mode will vary and so will assessment, particularly in later years.

There goes my chances, only 30 places and i dont even have a D average...

- L1n -

HSC
Would this procedure be similar to internal transfer to other degrees eg AppFinace + Beconomic, or is this procedure only for law becos it has a quota.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Tabris said:
http://www.law.mq.edu.au/html/undergraduate/school_leavers_faq.htm#3

There goes my chances, only 30 places and i dont even have a D average...
Random, it's increased to 30 people...

We take half your UAI
and half your GPA, add the two together and rank you, then we offer the
top 20 people places for a trial run for the following year.
-- Email from Maggie Liston.

Tabris said:
obtain a Distinction average in first year.
Wtf? I thought they use your GPA... A 'distinction average' could still be a crap GPA (due to getting one or two passes.) A 'distinction average' is a WAM, not a GPA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabris

HSC
I have taken the transfer sheet, I got a week to hand it in.

Its going to take abit of thinking to write a page of quality argument explaining why I should do law.

I'll get KO'ed if all applicants are B arts, and hopefully most are fobby asians! I might stand a chance there!

Out of curiosity, how many people have attempted to get into the law quota here?

X

xeuyrawp

Tabris said:
Out of curiosity, how many people have attempted to get into the law quota here?
I know that 120ish people applied last year... No idea about here, though. I think asy might have.

minalata

HSC
does any know for sure what GPA is needed, i got two forms yesterday, one had 3.00 whereas the other had 2.00, then on the website it we had to get distinction averages????????

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
Last year I applied for the quota and missed out... I had a GPA of 3.0 and a UAI of 92.85. I'm applying again this year with a GPA of 3.43 (needless to say I've done a fair bit of work this year).

I was just wondering if anyone knows how important the written part of the application is? i.e. is it an argument, background details, trials and tribulations kind of thing or should we keep it more succinct?
*I'm trying to keep away from the wanky "Macquarie Law is so wonderful and I want to be a part of it..." lol*

Any suggestions or insights would be much appreciated.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They'd probably read through it, just to see you have the drive, and the 'essay' writing capabilities. Although this is all speculation and I doubt they'd actually inform us.
minalata said:
does any know for sure what GPA is needed, i got two forms yesterday, one had 3.00 whereas the other had 2.00, then on the website it we had to get distinction averages????????
No one knows for sure, like the UAI cutoffs, they are based on supply and demand. The minimum requirement is 2.00 and a 18 CP (or is it 12?) but for a competitive chance, you're looking at 3.25 +

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
The minimum requirement is 2.00 and a 18 CP (or is it 12?) but for a competitive chance, you're looking at 3.25 +

minilata said:
You need a GPA of 2 to apply, but a GPA of 3++ to be competitive. :)

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
On the form it did say
a GPA of 3.0 AND\OR UAI of 90.
so like you know
the and\or looks pretty good

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
I had a UAI of 92.85 and a GPA of 3.0 and tthey didn't accept me (last year). Maggie Liston told me that I needed 3.3, based on that years competition for the quota positions.

It's not as easy as they lead you to believe. I think more information needs to be published.

Tabris

HSC
Suppose that I do make it into the quota, theres a few questions:

1. What happens on e-sstudent if i do make it in? Do i just leave it blank until i get notifed then enroll into the LAW units.

2. I remeber that it said that even i transferred i can still finish my combined law in the normal 5 years. Now, anyone know how is that possible?

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=ECOL02

(Done all 100 level requirements except LAW units)

3. Anyone here that have been successful in the transfer? MaryJane (she seem to have gone under the radar)?

P.S GPA is currently 3.625 and UAI is 91.35

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)