• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Transfers and jobs Help Please (1 Viewer)

aekryan

HSC
I ask the following questions as i have bombed all my assessments besides adv English to date (the first assessment task) and things look bleak as my ranks are no where near as good as yr 11..

Are there any limitation placed on transferring subjects? For example, if i go to a uni with a average ATAR i.e 80s but then get a distinction/high distinction in a course like economics in maquarie or sydney, can i still transfer to law? I wouldn't be able to transfer to Sydney law with a bad ATAR correct? Regardless on how well i do in uni.. How about marquarie Law?

When you apply for a job after you get a degree, do your employers look at the Uni you went to?

TBH i'll do anything to get into law.. starting with taking my other assessments seriously. And i know it will be a profession i am good at, i just want to know if i can transfer from maquarie eco to law and what it requires..

deswa1

HSC
What atar do you think you'll get (be 100% honest)? The easiest way to transfers into law at one of the big unis is to do a course at unsw (commerce, economics, arts) etc and then aply for their internal transfer program where they guarantee 100 transfers into law. I've gt the exact figures from past years in my email but I cant find those on my iPad but roughly, if you got a WAM of like 83 you should be able to make it - note that they don't consider ATAR at all. Sydney uni does a 50/50 split between atar and uni marks so unless you're looking at something like 98+ I don't think this option is open to you sorry.

A lot of people on this forum will tell you your uni makes no difference- I personally disagree. My dad had been involved in the hiring of hundreds of people (even though he's not HR) and he says that at his company, and a lot of other finance companies, they'd take a unsw graduate with a credit average over a macquarie with distinction average for example any day. The primary thing though isn't the in- things like personal attributes, out our leadership qualities and extra circulars etc play a MASSIVE role but I think it's naive to take an idealistic view tha our uni doesn't matter (especially for something like law where there are so many graduates that you need to find any way you can to distinguish yourself)

I'm not sure how the process of transferring into law at any of the other unis works though sorry so hopefully someone else can help there. Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)