• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Transformations: Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (1 Viewer)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Noone seems to be doing this part of the module, so I will post what I have by way of the main things that are 'transformed' in Stoppard's play.

Includes quotes.

NB// It is very brief, and primaily for use in an in class essay. Expand on it as you will, but there are some excellent points which anyone could use... especially if your teacher is anything like mine, and forcesyou to teach yourself due to her own incompetince.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
sweeet as thanks heaps.... i needed more quotes
thats what they say i am lacking anyway
im too lazy to find them...
when i type up my notes for this
iw ill put them in resources

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
for what its worth, i got 14/15 in the essay. perhaps it could do with some more points, but i will leave that up to you guys.

all the best.

jodes_86

Values

My teacher has decided to tell us 3 days before our trials that we need to know what values are expressed in Hamlet and R&G, can anyone help?

judi_rudential

HSC
LOL...i've downloaded this doc 3 times with 3 different names from 3 different people-.-""

HSC
N/A
Values expressed in R&G..

Well, let's see. There's the fact that R&G don't know who they are, and only a vague idea of where they're going and their purpose. Once they've fulfilled their purpose, they're killed off.

There's a lot of weird 60s thing in the entire play, much of it I don't understand (I got 9/20 for my HSC trials for this component of the exam - proves that I know zilch!!!).

I'll second your cry - "HELP!!!"

Mendo

HSC
Values in RaGaD have a lot to do with CULTURE. I think it says in the rubric or outcomes that there's a cultural valur component.

Values are a consequence of culture, Hamlets time values were all about purity in a way- virgins, vengence for justice, royal blood line, commoners.
Values in stoppards time- freedom, choice, peace, but ironically- this wasnt the case due to corruption in governments and world organisations.

Contextual contrast.

Thats the basis of the transformation.

Techniques- humour, irony, metaphors and exploration of concepts and issues to intrigue the audience/reader/viewer. These can be found in each play individually or between the two plays.

This is just a quick patch of notes. I hope it helps anyone if they need some help. Sorry it couldn't be more indepth but I find it's easier to understand if you can fine your own examples and quotes.

Good luck everyone!

HSC
N/A
Hold on. I've been a lazy procrastinator and haven't actually read the file in question, and there's a big bit up the top about how R&G are NOT Absurdist Theatre:

"Introduction:
• Non-Absurdist Nature of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
o “Don’t be absurd”
o “I know which way the wind is blowing”
o RaGaD plays out to a logical conclusion, there is no real choice for Ros and Guil and therefore it cannot be an absurdist play.
• Without Hamlet, RaGaD has no meaning and is part of RaGaD’s context."

But isn't R&G a classical piece of Absurdist Theatre because it does poke a lot of pun at inconsistancies within text and focuses on marginalised/previously glossed over details (such as R&G's purpose in original Hamlet) as well as being influenced by other fellow Absurdist Theatrical play, Waiting For Godot?

Then again I suck at transformations - but can someone clear this up for me?

Mendo

HSC
Well I always considered it to be absurdist, thats what we've been taught and its what many critics and reviewers called it. Yeah, thats what I thought when I read that too. confusing.

HSC
N/A
Hmm... I wonder what the HSC Markers do in this situation. I've been taught to look at it (R&G) as a piece of Absurdist Theatre as well, but perhaps both are relevant?!?! anyway. It's not Twisted's fault. Let's blame his/her teacher.

Actually, if your teacher is truly incompetent, petition to get them fired/banned from teaching senior grades/transferred. We do :D :D :D

firehose

HSC
Thanks too, what i really like about it is its excellent layout and readibility... perfect for reading on the bus :)

jcspecs06

HSC
If anyone is interested here is my unfinished notes and they are not yet summarised. It's more of a broken up essay than anything.

sharkiesfan

HSC
Hey pplz i need to know the nature of moral order in RaGad im stumped i really dont think there is any but i have to wqrite an essay on it so plz help

zozman

HSC
Thanks man!! That's an awesome help

BTW - at my school we don't use RaGaD but instead we do "R+G are Dead" then abbreviate it to "R+G" in further mention (be careful to place the inverted commas in though otherwise the marker will think you're talking about the characters :) )

Outie!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)