TRANSFORMATIONS... huh??? (1 Viewer)

eckshale

HSC
can anyone help me out wif explaining what transformation is?
and how it is portrayed through hamlet/Ragad...
cause i got no idea. i dont understand the concept.. 0.o
it's just confusing >.<
well if u can help, thanks!:D

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
ummm well i did emma and clueless but i can kinda try to explain the concept?
the old text would have been changed (transformed) in some way into the new text.. and you have to have a good knowledge of both texts then u can see whats similar between the two texts.. point out any obvious differences and reasons why they might have changed (like to suit a younger audience.. irrelevant to todays society etc) and just relate both texts to the rubric..

Hey :),

Texts are composed in particular contexts. Over time, as the context changes, so do values and attitudes. This can be spurned by religious, social, political and other historical events, like the Reformation, World War 1 and 2 and Women's Rights Movements to name a few.

The transformations are a study of relating texts to contexts and how a new context influences a text and how it is changed to suit that context. In R and G Are Dead, values of the monarchy, the chain of being, the divine right of kingship, religion, death, revenge and family values have changed. You examine both texts and see some parallel scenes and compare them, and you see what values and attitudes are inherent in both.

Keep in mind audience (basically a general audience of Shakespeare to a more intelligent audience for Stoppard), purpose (ostensibly, to entertain, but make a social comment etc.), language use (examine a few soliloquies like "to be or not to be" for death and some misuse of language in R and G Are Dead like the exchange of incorrectly used cliches and ironic language) as well as values and attitudes as conveyed through the text.

The syllabus states:
Module A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context
This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of value.

Each elective in this module requires the study of groups of texts which are to be selected from a prescribed text list. These texts may be in different forms or media.

Students examine ways in which social, cultural and historical context influences aspects of texts, or the ways in which changes in context lead to changed values being reflected in texts. This includes study and use of the language of texts, consideration of purposes and audiences, and analysis of the content, values and
attitudes conveyed through a range of readings.

Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the comparative study of texts and context. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

Some good study guides are available that are on this topic. There is one from Excel and another from Five Senses Publications (they are about $10 from Dymocks or you could skin through them in the store or at a library - I think you might find them helpful).

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)