Transistor in 1928 (1 Viewer)

D

dimebag2006

Hi Guys!!

I need help with a question from a trial paper.

"The first patent for a transistor was registered in 1928, this was followed by a myriad of inventions and inprovements to already invented gadgets, over the following decades."

"Assess the impact of the transistor on society during this period of time"

This is worth 5 marks. I know i have to mention that transistors replaced the valve, but how can i ensure i get the full 5 marks.

Thanks guys help is much appreciated.

HSC
I so haven't read up on this, so i'm gonna generalise it ok?

A few points to use:
1. It's effect, as in, what it meant for electrical appliances.
2. It's size, how big was it? Compare it the previous version (if there was one)
3. Cost? Very expensive to make/adapt to?
4. What improvements have been made? Before/After Transistors.
5. How it has continued to change, as in the constant improvements and that.

Err, this is real general, if you want, i'll read up on it, and try and get back to you.

helper

HSC
N/A
Its an assess question, so the final mark will be for giving your opinion, not just stating effects.
They will be looking for direct links from the transistor to an impact on society. Eg, Transistor enabled more reliable long distance telephone communications. This has led to people being able to communicate with relatives over long distances instantaneous and cheaper. This has enabled us to be aware of disasters large distances away quicker and society can react faster.

They would be looking for at least two positive impacts and probably two negative impacts. They may allow 3 and 1.

Wackedupwacko

HSC
this type of question allows good room for constructive bs... by that i mean bs but related. for example a negative would be the reduction in jobs in creating thermioc devices and thus affect society.

phil2010

HSC
N/A
helper said:
Its an assess question, ...
[my emphasis]

Dont forget to learn the meaning of the "key words" - They can be found on the BOD site.

littlemaster

HSC
Lol, i did this question yesterday ! 2006 CSSA Trial, late i know....

anyway a good answer i think is:

-state what a transistor does, why it replaced Thermionics
-state applications of transistor, long distance commnication
-state 2 positive impacts on society
-state 1/2 negative impacts
-assess( e.g. net positive impact)

jlnWind

HSC
Lol this is a year old....

dimebag2006 said:
Hi Guys!!

I need help with a question from a trial paper.

"The first patent for a transistor was registered in 1928, this was followed by a myriad of inventions and inprovements to already invented gadgets, over the following decades."

"Assess the impact of the transistor on society during this period of time"

This is worth 5 marks. I know i have to mention that transistors replaced the valve, but how can i ensure i get the full 5 marks.

Thanks guys help is much appreciated.
Ok revision for me and anyone who reads this i guess..
Well imo there would be a few words which are essential to the answer
and one of them is integrated circuits which basically saw the beginnings of computers

so yeh id give my marks like this
1- state why it took over vacuum tubes (two reasons such as smaller more robust, and more energy efficient and operates faster)
1- the effect of such properties like the world of electronics is dependent on the ability to manipulate and control the flow of electricity, but also the miniaturisation of technology?
1- state how it has seen the development of integrated circuits initially with dozens of transistors and now millions on one circuit.
1- one reference to contemporary times illustrating our dependency on things that have come as a result of transistors (e.g. our fear of y2k bug and doomsday as a result of date problems in computers which transistors are essential too)
1- explicitly making an assessment of quality/ value (big, small, positive, negative, etc) on transistors impact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)