Transport (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
Been neglecting to ask important transport questions...

What's the best way to get to Camperdown campus from the Western suburbs? Do I take a train to Redfern and walk in (how far is it from the station?), or to Central and catch a bus?

And are there buses which go to Redfern/Central from there? Where would I go to catch these?

And which buses are closer to where most Commerce or Law rooms, the ones that stop on Paramatta Rd or City Rd?

If I'm driven there (as will be the case on Info Day), where can I be dropped off? Ie. Just a dropoff point, no need for parking.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Train and a ten minute Redfern stroll (to the Wentworth Building, anyway). If you must take a bus from Central, then I guess that the City Road buses would be best for the Economics and Business faculty (as for Law... No idea). As for a return bus via City Road, the bus stop is just below/near the Wentworth pedestrian bridge.

The walk from Central isn't all that bad, too.

Last edited:

SeDaTeD

HSC
Hey, can someone give me an idea of the best type of tickets to buy? I'm guessing weekly. What's the card that I see students use when they board buses from Central to the Uni?

Lainee

HSC
I'm just thinking... because we have weekends off and maybe some days with no uni, buying a weekly pass may be a bit too much. I'm not sure, but you can find out, whether FlexiPasses allow you to only count the days you travel. If you have to catch the train as well as bus/ferry it's best to get one of those combo passes (not sure on the name) that allow you to unlimited travel within a specified zone.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
a weekly rail ticket is cheaper than buying 4 separate tickets, so if u r at uni for 4 or more days a week, buy a weekly.

For buses buy a travel 10 ticket, from the wentworth newsagency (or a sydney buses place) and that entitles you to 10 bus trips, you just put it in the macine on the bus each time u get on. Any bus that goes down parra rd if fine, or city road if you want to be over that side of uni, but if you are, its faster to walk from redfern.

Walk from redfern you lazy buggers! Seriously, by the time you walk from central to the bus station and get on a bus and get to uni, its just as fast to walk.... and you get exercise too! I walk every day from redfern to the vet buildings (way on the other side of uni) and it takes about 20-25 mins, which suits me fine coz my train arrives at redfern at 835am. Its not a bad walk, and hundreds of ppl do it every morning. And yeah, the walk from central is alright too.

And with the whole safety thing... i have done the redfern walk a bigillion times, at all hours of night and morning, its fine!!!! seriously, there are always ppl around, the shops are always open, and its not like u are on tiny back streets, its all fairly open.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I get a TravelPass, because I don't just take trains, but I'm travelling by bus between campuses as well (and sometimes even ferry from uni to parramatta).

$23.50 for unlimited travel on trains, bus and ferry up to Seven Hills station, or $17 for just trains.

Lainee

HSC
Mambomeg said:
And with the whole safety thing... i have done the redfern walk a bigillion times, at all hours of night and morning, its fine!!!! seriously, there are always ppl around, the shops are always open, and its not like u are on tiny back streets, its all fairly open.
That was really my main concern, so thanks for clearing that up. But still... I think for the first few weeks of uni at least, I'll go to Central and bus back. Mostly cause I'm more familiar with Central than Redfern. I'll try the walk if I find someone who catches the same train as me and is walking (Cabra <-> City line if anyone's interested ;) ), cause trains and buses feel safer to me.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I get on at Cabra, though I usually get on a bus at Central when I go to the uni. Walking is fine though, been doing it everyday for the last 6 years lol.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
That was really my main concern, so thanks for clearing that up. But still... I think for the first few weeks of uni at least, I'll go to Central and bus back. Mostly cause I'm more familiar with Central than Redfern. I'll try the walk if I find someone who catches the same train as me and is walking (Cabra <-> City line if anyone's interested ;) ), cause trains and buses feel safer to me.
Picture hundreds, if not thousands, of students walking from Redfern station each morning, especially between 8.30 and 9... The only real safety issue is that of stepping in the dog poo :p.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Dog poo!! That's it, I'm getting a bus at Central. hahaha.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
noooooo! not the dog poo!!!! hopefully the person with the dog will have graduated...... i've half a mind to carry along a pooper scooper, do everyone a favour!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
God you people are lazy. Sif pay to catch the bus when you can just walk from central. :cool:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah the bus is too much effort, lining up, cramming on, holding on for dear life, squishing your way off the bus a whole 2 stops later, and rembering to buy a ticket when u run out..... too much effort. I just walk, so much easier, expecially when you get into autopilot mode and you get to uni before you even realise.....

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
is the walk longer from central longer than the walk from newtown station to USYD? I have no sense of geography whatsoever so if this question is stupid....:eek:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Newtown station is a lot harder to get to as trains stop there irregularly. The walk from Redfern is probably shorter than from Central but i prefer the walk from Central because its a nicer atmosphere and you can spit on the UTS plebicites on youre way. :)

profernity

HSC
I thought the walk from Central goes downhill, and then uphill...

It all depends on which part of the campus you intend to travel to. I took the bus from Central in First Yr, and I can attest to the fact that squeezing yourself in and out of buses is worse than walking from Redfern. Besides, the bus terminal isn't right next to the station platforms - you still have to walk from the platform to the terminal, which in itself is probably a quarter of the distance from Redfern to USYD's Engineering Building anyway. Yeah I know, that sounds really lazy, but really Redfern is the best option here.

If you're worried about the dog poo, that's only a problem in the mornings. It usually gets cleaned up by the afternoon. The footpaths can get fairly crowded in the morning, so the prevent being "surprised" by a canine landmine I suggest you take the 7:13am from Cabra (assuming that you start at 9) because it's slightly less crowded, and you will almost always have a clear path. Most people take the 7:21am trains.

Lainee

HSC
:) I usually took the 7:35 so a couple minutes earlier won't be too bad. Thanks for that! I'll try walking to Redfern after Info Day and compare that with bus from Central earlier to see which is better.

HSC
What is parking like. Is it even possible to park on or near the campus? How much does it cost approximately?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)