Travel To Europe - Best Way To Do It? (1 Viewer)

MCK

HSC
Hey, me and my friends are planning to go on a trip to Europe sometime this year and were considering the different types of options we have such as Contiki tour, planning our own or something like the Busabout tours. They all have their positives and negatives so just wondering if anyone can share their own experiences or what they'd recommend?

Thanks

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
I know a group of guys who went on a bus about tour and they had a blast, but you can usually do the exact same thing with more itinerary flexibility if you just go with a group.
You will have an amazing time no matter what. going as your own group gives you more freedom but then requires a lot more planning on your part and can work out cheaper. or you can sacrifice itinerary flexibility and have someone do all the work for you.

i'd recommend going to the lonely planet thorntree forums and sussing it out. There's heaps of info and threads there with people answering travel questions from all over the world.

teabag

do it
HSC
i went on a 20 day topdeck tour that went to 9 different countries.

tours are great if you want to see a lot in a small amount of time

it's true that it's probably cheaper to organise it yourself, but my only negative of taking the tour as opposed to doing it myself is it is a bit rushed. i'm not sure about contiki, but on the topdeck tour, there was no real things you did or didn't have to do, except be on the bus at the right time to leave

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I've been to europe using a tour (trafalgar) 17 days 13 countries, gotta tell you it wasnt the best experience, because we were always on such a tight schedule, and to see anything (like sightseeing or shows etc ) was an "optional" extra, obviously you are going to pay
But aside from that they hook you up with everything

Know we know that car + gps is THE way to go

douglas65

HSC
First of all you make a full list where you want to go. If you drive in paris then keep the Bourne identity? Berlin underground clubs add your list. Do you have an unexplained concept that Monaco is the most gorgeous place on earth? Get those concepts first, and then try to do those techniques.

Ringor

HSC
I think if you're the type of group that are fairly easy going in terms of what you do, then a guided tour is great because its fairly stress free. But if you guys have a specific list of things you all want to do then i'd consider brain storming an itinerary and maybe combining short tours + time to yourselves to do the things you want!

I'm personally not a fan of tours because I love making my own adventures and feel so great when I've turned down a random road/lane and bumped into the best bar or shopping centres!

Ultimately its up to the group! and remember to sometimes take time out and chill because sometimes you've felt like the holiday wasnt really break. I'm currently planning a group trip for my mates bucks and its pretty difficult keeping track of things. I did stumble on this site www.troopr.com though, me and my mates have signed up and hope it will be ready before our big trip..
It's for groups to organise travel.

0wl

HSC
Cause I like to explore and take photographs as I go, I don't like to be rushing for the bus. I guess it depends on how long you have for your trip.

I would personally recommend planning your own and Eurorail-ing it between countries/cities. Much more relaxed.

Booking hotels and train tickets are a breeze if you have a smart phone/iPad or laptop. But if you have a fairly big group, pre-planning it would be the way to go so you have accomodation. It takes a little more time, but at least you know what you're paying for and where you need to go when you arrive.

I find the tours really restrictive and limiting. It's not just about the time as well, but you end up not really getting a good experience of what it's like to be in a certain country (cultural experience?).

lisamay

HSC
I heard that many people go by train on the Eurorail ticket. One of my good friends has done it and she said that it was awesome. One day I would also like to travel all around Europe, they have so many amazing places!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)