travelling money (1 Viewer)

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
hey guys! i'm going overseas in like 2 weeks and don't want to carry heaps of cash with me...what's the best way to though to take it...eg should i just get a credit card orsomething then pay for everything then pay back when i get home...the only problem is that i might not be eligible for one...so how have you guys travelled with money?
thanks heaps

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
get a visa debit card... works on the same principle as a credit card you except you cant use any more than what you have
its what i do anyways

afta???

HSC

Skeeta

HSC
travellers cheques - even if you loose them, no-one can collect them

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Normal ATM debit Card to get cash from ATMs, Maestro Cirrus works in most places, Plus is another brand just make sure you check the ATM before popping your card in to make usre it accepts your card type.

Credit Card for emergencies. If going to iffy places watch it like a hawk when getting it swiped you don't want it cloned.

Don't bother with travellers cheques if you go to exotic places they will just laugh at you even in the banks.

It all depends where you go, if you go to a country where people earn $300 a month then just take $500 in cash and live on that for a month exchange it as needed and hide the rest well.

Check your overseas transaction fees for each method you are thinking of using.

Biggest thing is keep all numbers for the banks in case of card loss in several places I usually email my yahoo address all details in case I really get taken for ride. Just account numbers etc no PINs.

bustinjustin

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Normal ATM debit Card to get cash from ATMs, Maestro Cirrus works in most places, Plus is another brand just make sure you check the ATM before popping your card in to make usre it accepts your card type.

Credit Card for emergencies. If going to iffy places watch it like a hawk when getting it swiped you don't want it cloned.

Don't bother with travellers cheques if you go to exotic places they will just laugh at you even in the banks.

It all depends where you go, if you go to a country where people earn $300 a month then just take $500 in cash and live on that for a month exchange it as needed and hide the rest well.

Check your overseas transaction fees for each method you are thinking of using.

Biggest thing is keep all numbers for the banks in case of card loss in several places I usually email my yahoo address all details in case I really get taken for ride. Just account numbers etc no PINs.
Agree with leftrightout. Also, keep your cash and valuables in a money belt, which is worn around your body underneath your shirt. You can get these from department stores, duty free shops and at the airport.

Peartie

HSC
Traveller's cheques arent that good...when i took some overseas i found it a pain because where i was it was hard to find banks and shops dont always accept them....Im going 2 England next year and will be taking cash, a Travelex Cash Passport (which are good because it means you have quick access to money..secure with a pin and can cancel 1 card and still have another connected to the account) and a Visa debit which are good but have a yearly fee and cost money when you use them

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
i'm going to india! ..wondering how much travelling money i need

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)