Trends (1 Viewer)

j-3-s-5

HSC
Anyone else find these hard to remember?

I'm always getting confused between which are rising/falling and also get alot of different trends depending on the text book/wesbite etc.

So would anyone be able to give me a list of trends or ones that you know for the priority areas? Would be much appreciated :)

- Jess

mutchy29

HSC
N/A
CVD- Incidence increasing, mortality decreasing, however stroke is increasing in females due to an increase in smoking.

Cancer- Incidence increasing, mortality decreasing. Males: Skin cancer increasing, prostate increasing, lung decreasing, colorectal decreasing.
Females: Breast is increasing, lung increasing, skin increasing, colorectal increasing, cervical decreasing.

Injury- Unintentional is decreasing, intentional is increasing. Road injuries are decreasing.

Mental health- Incidence increasing due to more people reporting the illness.

Diabetes- Incidence increasing.

Asthma- decreasing mortality, increasing mortality.

Arthritis/muskuloskeletal- Increasing due to ageing population.

Jono10

HSC
mutchy29 said:
CVD- Incidence increasing, mortality decreasing, however stroke is increasing in females due to an increase in smoking.

Cancer- Incidence increasing, mortality decreasing. Males: Skin cancer increasing, prostate increasing, lung decreasing, colorectal decreasing.
Females: Breast is increasing, lung increasing, skin increasing, colorectal increasing, cervical decreasing.

Injury- Unintentional is decreasing, intentional is increasing. Road injuries are decreasing.

forgive me if im wrong but im sure for CVD incidence is decreasing, not increasing

hayyleyy

HSC
Jono10 said:
forgive me if im wrong but im sure for CVD incidence is decreasing, not increasing
yea i thought so aswell... i did a multiple choice q today on board of studies and im pretty sure it said CVD incidence is decreasing

hayyleyy

HSC
oh and also...
highest morbidity for cancer:
males - prostate, colorectal, lung
females - breast, colorectal, lung

highest mortality rates:
males - lung, prostate, colorectal
females - breast, lung, colorectal

im pretty sure thats right..... correct me if im wrong, i always get them confused :S

friction

HSC
Im pretty sure he is right with CVD as incidence is increasing (more new cases) due to more overwieght inactive people but mortality (number of deaths) is decreasing due to increases in technology.

emmmy

HSC
mutchy29 said:

huh?

neeksy45

HSC
Jono10 said:
The prevalence of heart, stroke and vascular conditions increased by 18.2% over the last decade.

That was from the Heart Foundation website, off an information sheet.

hayyleyy

HSC
sorry, but CVD incidence/morbidity IS DECREASING:

from Outcomes 2 textbook pg39
"The declining prevalence of CVD is mainly due to:
  • a reduction in the levels of risk factors
  • improved medical care and treatment"
also in a multiple choice question on board of studies from past papers:

"In Australia, which of the following major causes of illness and death are showing an upward trend in incidence?
a) cancer and CVD
b) cancer and respiratory disease
c) injuries and CVD
d) injuries and respiratory disease"

the answer is (b), and so therefore CVD must have a decline in incidence otherwise (a) would be the answer

mutchy29

HSC
N/A
Most hypokinetic diseases are increasing in incidence due to better diagnostic technology and health promotion. Just because incidence is increasing does not mean more people HAVE the disease, it only means more people are aware of the disease.
Therefore, it makes sense that incidence is on the rise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)