Trial Question (1 Viewer)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I see these types of question quite often:

"Analyse the relationship between technology and advances in physics"

I'm always at a loss on how to relate this to the modules, if i even need to. How would you approach this question? and with what examples?

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
I'd say that as technology has advanced so has scientific understanding, and basically any advances from the telescope and space to other stuff that I can't think of atm =D

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I mean yeh thats what i thought of, but do i have to specific on examples like superconductors or something.
Coz i dont think that would get me the 6 marks

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
As above.
How did advances in technology lead to advances in Physics?
- invention of telescope -- discovery of other planets, galaxies etc.. Changed understanding of model of the universe -- analysis of spectral shifts led to suggestion of "Big Bang" which was supported by observation of CMBR via use of a radio telescope.
- particle accelerators -- synthesis / formation of new elements and study of nuclear forces (increasing understanding) and confirmation of mass dilation
- Purification techniques -- applied to silicon for formation of transistors and diodes etc...
- Cathode ray tubes -- lead to discovery of electron -- change in model of the atom.
- atomic clocks -- confirmation of time dilation
- compressors which are used in formation of liquid nitrogen -- lead to investigations into superconductivity.
- induction coil -- used by Hertz to investigate Maxwells hypothesis.

Heaps of examples, which you should provide and then give an overarching statement about how as technology improves, it allows us to investigate in ways which we previously couldn't which helps us gain scientific knowledge and advance our understanding of physics.

marxman

HSC
I think the easiest way to relate this to syllabus may be to straight up say advances in physics is the basis for advances in modern technology. I believe from the syllabus this comes under PFA H3 "Assess the impact of particular advances in physics on the development of technologies".

In this case you have some good options:
  • Photovoltaic Cells leading to Development of Solar Cells
  • Eddy Currents leading to Electromagnetic Breaking/Induction Heating
  • Superconductors leading to maglev trains

And you can use a couple of these to your advantage to really flesh out a response. The syllabus loves to ask questions along these lines, as well as stuff that comes under
PFA H1 "Evaluates how major advances in scientific understanding and technology have changes the direction or nature of scientific thinking".

In any case I'd recommend for this question picking two of the above examples (Personally I'd choose photocells and eddy currents since they are most intuitive to me), go through with explaining the physics behind each with relevant equations etc. and then simply linking this to the technology chosen. With this sort of format filled out enough I think that would do it for 6 marks.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I see these types of question quite often:

"Analyse the relationship between technology and advances in physics"

I'm always at a loss on how to relate this to the modules, if i even need to. How would you approach this question? and with what examples?
+1 to what the other people said, but you won't often get a question so vague. Usually it will allude to a specific technology/technologies, often semiconductors or superconductors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)