Trials Not Weighing Enough? (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
all my subjects weight 30% except for maths (40%) and SDD (20%)

is this usual?

the thing is...i normally do much better in the exams. every year since year 7 its always been my exam marks (normally top 10% of class) that pulls my assesssment marks up (normally above average)

i was really looking forward to acing the trials to bump up my ranks, but after seeing that my school is giving them an average weighing of only 30% i feel kind of rooted. is this a normal weighing? i was under the impression they were meant to be somewhere near the 35-45%.

i guess im doing alright, currently im probably ranked in the top third of all my subjects, but the entire year i was looking at the trials as the "get out of jail free card", now theyre just an inferior "you inherit $100" card D:

argh my motivation is slipping away....there goes my dreams of owning the entire class and securing top 5 in all subjects......fading away...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
You are supposed to know how much trials weigh at the beginning of the HSC yr. Tough luck if you planned to "own" your class by just using the trials and now the weighting isn't up to your expectations.

My trials (regular comprehensive HS) were averaged on 30-35% from what I remember (04'er here) and it didn't make a huge difference in rankings from what I remember. Those who worked steadily did very well and those planning to kill the trial and somehow zip to the top of the rankings didn't.

I don't like the way you expect things to suit you but don't lose motivation. They're worth what they're worth. Concentrate on what you can control and forget about weigtings. Just study. Good luck.

annieclassof06

just.... shiny!
HSC
My trials are 40% - to 55% in maths and im not good at maths so thats NOT good :) Good luck. You'll be fine. :D

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
My history extension trial is worth 5% and all my other subjects are worth 30%...and thank god for that..~!

H

housemouse

How can you rely on just one assessment to give you a good ranking?

If you believe in that sort of stuff then you might as just forget about everything else and just "ace" the HSC and see how you go then.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
housemouse said:
How can you rely on just one assessment to give you a good ranking?

If you believe in that sort of stuff then you might as just forget about everything else and just "ace" the HSC and see how you go then.
yeah that's what i thought. You shouldn't really rely on just this one assessment, and plus the trial exam is much harder than the actual hsc exam (that's what I've heard anyway).

lala2

Banned
HSC
I was of that mentality during Term 4 Year 11--my worst term--after such crappy rankings and marks but I knew that every little assessment would be worth something in the end--otherwise, what's the point of it being there?--so I didn't dare slack off before trials. Trials were still my triumphing point (apart from externals), but Term 2 assessments had been sufficiently good enough to cement my ranking in the top x people, when coupled with my trials. Moral of the story is, you cannot rely on trials to pull you up--often it's the assessments before that that give you just that little edge.

Even if it was possible by sheer will alone, trials are progressive--they test your knowledge till that point, so assessments are a good way to consolidate that knowledge and save you the hassle of revising those concerned dot points.

Having said that, if trials are your last school assessment, you'd be best to study hard and consistently, and make the best out of them. Good luck!

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
thanks for replies.

i wasnt relying mainly on the trials for my entire UAI and bludging the entire year. im happy with my marks so far this term and last (i cant honestly say i did my best for the first term)

guess i just got a little too influenced after hearing all those "i aced the trials so hard and it pushed me from last to first place!"

still gonna give it my best, my motivation has once again risen after getting 4th in english assessment and im guessing 27-28/30 for maths this afternoon.

w00tness! *charges towards study desk

carreau

HSC
Well I found out my paper 2, for Eng Adv, doesn't count towards anything.

Only paper 1, with the short answer, creative writing and AOS essay will be taken into account.

I'm very... very happy.

lala2

Banned
HSC
That's strange that they don't take paper 2 into account. What will happen to your modules then?

JhK89

HSC
wow... all the schools so different....

well in my skool teh trials are like worth 40% for all the subs im doing..

chinkiwinki

HSC
my english trials are 15%. Very stupid considering i got ripped in the other English Assessments. Im not gonna even bother spending so much time on the english trials.

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
My english trials were actually 7.5% !! Thankfully I nearly failed at it when it weighs so little. In fact the assesment marks weigh more.

ALL my trials weighed no more than 25% ...it looks weird that your school would base 50% of the marks on one exam

HSC
the only reason the trials are "harder" then the actual HSC exam is because people have more time to study for their HSC exam and are more prepared ...unlike in the trials...half the people just study the night or week before...they just aint prepared..

im better at assigment then i am in exams... so im really pissed off that buisness is worth 40%...everything else is 30..legal 35.......

and whats the difference if your maths exam is worth higher or lower....its still going to be an exam aint it?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
English Paper 1 was worth 5%. English Paper 2 was worth 15%. So in total the English trial was worth 20%.

The irony is that we have an in class listening assessment coming up for Module C which is also worth 15%. Thats the entire of Paper 2 right there in 40minutes. :|

JhK89

HSC
wm_abusef said:
English Paper 1 was worth 5%. English Paper 2 was worth 15%. So in total the English trial was worth 20%.

The irony is that we have an in class listening assessment coming up for Module C which is also worth 15%. Thats the entire of Paper 2 right there in 40minutes. :|

thats freaking small...

i no some other school.. forgot which 1 but they did but one was worth 15% lol sif thats totally worth dedicating urself 2.

courtneyrobbo

HSC
Hey every1. My trials were worth 25% and determined final rankings....how did everybodys go? I am stoked, topped the trials in 4 subjects...yeww!

any1 else feel like the HSC is never ending?

hit back!

peace :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)