Triathlon and the energy systems. (1 Viewer)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Working on a question and its doing my head in.

I have to apply the energy systems to a triathlon, I've done the ATP-PC system... wrote about how its used in the beginning of the race, transitions and passing etc, but I can't seem to get my head around the lactic acid system.

When is it used in a triathlon? Obvisously its used after the CP stores have been exhausted, but it doesn't seem like enough to write about.

Do I simply say 'after the first high intensity peroid of the swim stage the body switches to the lactic acid system.. etc'
And its pretty much the same for the cycle and the run. :mad1:

I'm confused. help please?

eve.

HSC
Hey,
Firstly, thanks for replying to my thread :)
And in repsonse to your question I think your right in writing that, I don't think it's too complicated. Maybe mention that the lactic acid system is only the predonimant energy system used for a short time (approx 10 secs - 2mins) and then the aerobic system becomes the predominant energy system as the intensity of a triathalon is mainly of a level that involves aerobic metabolism.

You could also write about the training thresholds in that when the athlete is finishing the race and their exercise intensity increases, there is not enough ATP being produced by the aerobic system to meet the energy demands so anaerobic glycolosys begins again.

Hope that helps.

Eve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)