Tricky perms and combs questio (1 Viewer)

Thjv

HSC
In a tennis club, there are five married couples available to play a "mixed doubles" match, that is, a match in which a combination of one man and one woman play against a combination of another man and another woman. In how many ways can a group of four persons be chosen for this match if a man and his wife play in a match but not as partners.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
In a tennis club, there are five married couples available to play a "mixed doubles" match, that is, a match in which a combination of one man and one woman play against a combination of another man and another woman. In how many ways can a group of four persons be chosen for this match if a man and his wife play in a match but not as partners.

HSC
Hey, not sure if I'm reading the question right, but shouldn't the answer be 80

considering that it is mixed doubles, wouldn't the maximum possibility be 5C2*5C2 = 100

I think the stipulation states that one specific man has to be in the game with his wife (uh I think this is wrong, but I'm assuming only one pair of couples have to be in the game), but not as partners, so the possibilities would be
M (5)* W (4) * M (4) * W (1) <-- this has to be the wife of one of the 5 men which is 80.

Last edited:

calamebe

HSC
Hey, I noticed that (5x4x4x4)/2 also results with 160. Is this just lucky, or is it also a valid way to do the question?
I did for the top side, 5x4, and bottom 4x4 (I knew there were two cases just couldn't figure out how many combinations they were so just did 4x4) and divided by 2 (as the sides are the same).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hey, I noticed that (5x4x4x4)/2 also results with 160. Is this just lucky, or is it also a valid way to do the question?
I did for the top side, 5x4, and bottom 4x4 (I knew there were two cases just couldn't figure out how many combinations they were so just did 4x4) and divided by 2 (as the sides are the same).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hey, not sure if I'm reading the question right, but shouldn't the answer be 80

considering that it is mixed doubles, wouldn't the maximum possibility be 5C2*5C2 = 100

I think the stipulation states that one specific man has to be in the game with his wife (uh I think this is wrong, but I'm assuming only one pair of couples have to be in the game), but not as partners, so the possibilities would be
M (5)* W (4) * M (4) * W (1) <-- this has to be the wife of one of the 5 men which is 80.
The question wording doesn't mean that a specific man or pair has to be in the game I think; I think it's just asking for the number of ways to choose people for a match if we need mixed doubles pairs and spouses can't be on the same team.

HSC
Ah yes!
Ughhh, I hate permutations and combinations, everything makes sense and seems like its right until you realise it's wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)