Trigonometric functions HSC question (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I need help with ii) and iii). I just want to know for ii) why in the solution was y=1.35. For iii), what is the formula T = 2Pi/a? I've never seen it before.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Also another question: I was finding the area of a sector using the formula 1/2 r^2 theta (man I want to use latex) and my calculator was set to degrees because I was using 120', but then I got a completely different answer when I did 2Pi/3 but in radians, what caused the answers to be different when 120' and 2Pi/3 are the same but set in appropriate modes for each?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Also another question: I was finding the area of a sector using the formula 1/2 r^2 theta (man I want to use latex) and my calculator was set to degrees because I was using 120', but then I got a completely different answer when I did 2Pi/3 but in radians, what caused the answers to be different when 120' and 2Pi/3 are the same but set in appropriate modes for each?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So what formulas should always be set in radians mode and what formulas should be set in degrees?
It's generally best to keep your calculator in radians mode, and only switch to degrees mode if you want to calculate something involving evaluating a trig. or inverse trig. function with degrees (e.g. if you want the answer to in degrees (i.e. you want to find the (acute) angle that has a sine of , you should have your calculator in degrees mode before typing in ). In general, if you evaluate an inverse trig. function, the answer is an angle, so you'll get the answer in degrees if you're calculator is in degree mode, and radians if in radians mode.

If you want to evaluate a trig. function at a particular value in degrees, use degree mode (e.g. if you use degree mode, typing into the calculator will return the value of sin 30º, which is ; if you'd used radian mode, typing would return the value of ).

If using non-trigonometric/inverse trigonometric functions, it shouldn't matter whether you're in degrees mode or radians mode. E.g. typing or will give the same value regardless of the mode.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
So basically any sort of question involving arc length, area of sector, etc. It should always be in radians mode and degrees are in radians?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)