Trigonometric Graphs (1 Viewer)

coyazayo

HSC
Hi i was just graphing trigonometric functions when I came across a cosine function with a period of 3pi. I also came across another cosine function with a period of 2pi/3. So my question is: how do you exactly graph theses? Functions with period of 2pi, pi etc... are real easy but these I really need help with. Thanks in advance!!

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
If you look at a regular cosine function that fluctuates in a 2pi period, you can observe that it is broken up into 4 equal pieces. It cuts the axis in the first quarter of the period (pi/2), creates a minimum stat point at pi, cuts again at 3pi/2 and then a maximum stat point at 2pi
Similarly, you can apply the same principle to different periods. If you break the designated period into 4 parts, you can replicate it the same way as the regular cosine.
Say for example your 3pi function. Breaking it into quarters we get 3pi/4, 3pi/2 , 9pi/4 and 3pi. So it cuts at 3pi/4, min stat point at 3pi/2, cuts again at 9pi/4 and max stat point at 3pi.

Of course, other factors such as the frequency, amplitude and initial phase also define the graph and hence alter the way you break it up

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hi i was just graphing trigonometric functions when I came across a cosine function with a period of 3pi. I also came across another cosine function with a period of 2pi/3. So my question is: how do you exactly graph theses? Functions with period of 2pi, pi etc... are real easy but these I really need help with. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)