Triple J's Hottest 100 2009 (1 Viewer)

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
Triple J isn't very mainstream

Today FM is more for the generic audience

I hope listzomania by pheonix makes it somewhere in the list. Also, Lisa mitchell <333
lol well on triple j i only listen to the heavy metal show on tuesday nights, and the punk show on wednesday nights

so ye the only popular bands that i have heard of are the EPICALLY MAINSTREAM ones cos i dun listen to pop

philphie

Banned
HSC
lol...are you serious?

Only like 2 people in my year of 110 people even listen to triple J or know any of the artists that play there
well that's the problem with indie kds, we are dispersed quite widely. i think i know of 3 guys in my year that listen to triple j, but the thing is triple j over the years in my opinion has lost its independent radio roots and has become somewhat trendy to all the scenesters out there. triple j is still good, but this is just my observation. anyway i tend to listen to fbi more nowadays since there's more consistency in their playlists for hidden gems

Gold Lion

HSC
lol well on triple j i only listen to the heavy metal show on tuesday nights, and the punk show on wednesday nights

so ye the only popular bands that i have heard of are the EPICALLY MAINSTREAM ones cos i dun listen to pop
lol fair enough

all my friends who listen to triple J absolutely despise it when the bands on there go mainstream

like Kings of Leon and MGMT

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
lol fair enough

all my friends who listen to triple J absolutely despise it when the bands on there go mainstream

hahahahahahahahahaha

well luckily the bands i listen to will NEVER become mainstream

xD

xD

philphie

Banned
HSC
lol fair enough

that's stupid, it's not like MGMT changed their sound or anything (no comment please Born Dancer i know how hypocritical this sounds), i hate it when people just don't like a band anymore because they've found more success. the only time i see when it is appropriate to gett pissed is when they completely chnage their sound for a wider audience.

i've never been a Kings of Leon fan though, even before Only by the Night. i don't like their kind of garage blues rock

Gold Lion

HSC
that's stupid, it's not like MGMT changed their sound or anything (no comment please Born Dancer i know how hypocritical this sounds), i hate it when people just don't like a band anymore because they've found more success. the only time i see when it is appropriate to gett pissed is when they completely chnage their sound for a wider audience.

i've never been a Kings of Leon fan though, even before Only by the Night. i don't like their kind of garage blues rock
+1
I totally agree
But I understand their point of view somewhat - they just feel like the 'new fans' hardly understand the band

Being a fan of non-mainstream bands gives people a certain identity I think

But I would never stop being a fan just because a band goes mainstream unless they become sell outs D:

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC

the only thing i will point out is that i don't think any of the credible bands on the twilight soundtrack did change their sound, and therefore being placed on a cd with that kind of mainstream success by your above logic shouldn't lead you to think that they are damaged in any way.

philphie

Banned
HSC
the only thing i will point out is that i don't think any of the credible bands on the twilight soundtrack did change their sound, and therefore being placed on a cd with that kind of mainstream success by your above logic shouldn't lead you to think that they are damaged in any way.
I still think Muse's The Resistance is an exception to this.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
+1
I totally agree
But I understand their point of view somewhat - they just feel like the 'new fans' hardly understand the band

Being a fan of non-mainstream bands gives people a certain identity I think

But I would never stop being a fan just because a band goes mainstream unless they become sell outs D:
this. my problem is that mainstream success often comes at the cost of fans only having listened to one song and pouring their whole energy into that one, often not the best single.

it's not that i dislike the bands becoming popular or gaining more success, it's just that i don't think you can proclaim yourself to love a band based on one track

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I still think Muse's The Resistance is an exception to this.
except that i don't think the twilight soundtrack had anything to do with that. the whole cd is rubbish and was always going to be rubbish with or without the film

philphie

Banned
HSC
i'm going to be honest i'm a whore when it comes to music. i just go through so many bands, artists and composers that i hardly remember the lyrics or even the names of songs anymore

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i'm going to be honest i'm a whore when it comes to music. i just go through so many bands, artists and composers that i hardly remember the lyrics or even the names of songs anymore
how come? that doesn't sound particularly satisfying

philphie

Banned
HSC
how come? that doesn't sound particularly satisfying
i don't know, it's just that my tastes are so wide. i started playing classical/jazz so i know alot about that, then i just moved onto blues, psych, 70s 80s punk, alternative, and avant garde. i just like too many things. i'll remember what songs sound like but probably not the lyrics or the title, sound is pretty much what engages me. when you're taste is as broad as mine, i guess for me, depth is something i don't really build on except of course for classical and jazz seeing how that's where my roots in music are

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Animal Collective - My Girls
Arctic Monkeys - Crying Lightning
Bon Iver - Blood Bank
Bon Iver - For Emma
Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Los Campesinos - These Are Listed Buildings
Mastodon - Oblivion
Weezer - (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
Arctic Monkeys - My Propeller
XX, The - Crystalised

Pretty terrible year, I got to 7 songs and was stuck. And one of those songs got released over two years ago :\

philphie

Banned
HSC
Animal Collective - My Girls
Arctic Monkeys - Crying Lightning
Bon Iver - Blood Bank
Bon Iver - For Emma
Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Los Campesinos - These Are Listed Buildings
Mastodon - Oblivion
Weezer - (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
Arctic Monkeys - My Propeller
XX, The - Crystalised

Pretty terrible year, I got to 7 songs and was stuck. And one of those songs got released over two years ago :\
you know For Emma was in 2008?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
07 actually

But it was on the list so meh, I voted for it. Didn't Muse win in 07 for a song released 18 months earlier?

politik

HSC
I figured it was based on the single release date and not the album.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)