Trouble with Engineering Studies (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
I just started year 12 Engineering course, and I'm finding it really hard to absorb the information. Mechanics are no big deal, well right now they're not.

I realise that its the sophisticated terms that make it so hard to take in.

Can anyone help me? I use the Excel book.

Also our teacher really emphasises on the importance of highlighters, when I use a high lighter i highlight the whole page, should probably just dip my book into a bucket of yellow ink, so if anyone has any tips on reducing highlighting it would also be helpful

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
A lot of the terms are hard to remember at first, particularly all the austenite and martensite and all those ones. Really the only way to remember them is to keep going over them, unfortunately I don't have any other advice but repetition.

taeyang

HSC
Firstly, I know I'm not going well.. it's because I neglected it.. but I know that the way to succeed in engineering OR physics is UNDERSTANDING, What I like to do is break down the complex things into really small, concise things... for example..

Hardening - heat to FCC austenite, quench to BCT martensite.

something really simple like that, GL

Roy216

HSC
since year 11, some sophisticated terms that have to do with processing and materials. Right now with civil structures its the same thing

Roy216

HSC
Yea i usually do that, go over something till i understand it fully, however sometimes its very time consuming and with engineering I've realised you mus'nt waste time.

Roy216

HSC
Firstly, I know I'm not going well.. it's because I neglected it.. but I know that the way to succeed in engineering OR physics is UNDERSTANDING, What I like to do is break down the complex things into really small, concise things... for example..

Hardening - heat to FCC austenite, quench to BCT martensite.

something really simple like that, GL
Yea with all my subjects i find breaking them down helps alot, I've highlighted many things but i usually break down paragraphs into a line or two

lachlanalegend

HSC
hey guys, just thought I'd share a bit of engineering101 with all you newbies out there, have fun.

Engineering is the discipline, art, skill, profession, and technology of acquiring and applying scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes.

The American Engineers' Council for Professional Development (ECPD, the predecessor of ABET)[1] has defined "engineering" as:

The creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation and safety to life and property.

One who practices engineering is called an engineer, and those licensed to do so may have more formal designations such as Professional Engineer, Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer, Ingenieur or European Engineer. The broad discipline of engineering encompasses a range of more specialized sub disciplines, each with a more specific emphasis on certain fields of application and particular areas of technology
:guitar:

hump10

HSC
hey guys, just thought I'd share a bit of engineering101 with all you newbies out there, have fun.

Engineering is the discipline, art, skill, profession, and technology of acquiring and applying scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes.

The American Engineers' Council for Professional Development:tennisclap: (ECPD, the predecessor of ABET)[1] has defined "engineering" as:

The creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation and safety to life and property.

One who practices engineering is called an engineer, and those licensed to do so may have more formal designations such as Professional Engineer, Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer, Ingenieur or European Engineer. The broad discipline of engineering encompasses a range of more specialized sub disciplines, each with a more specific emphasis on certain fields of application and particular areas of technology
:guitar:
Ok
  1. This is extremely great, i've been looking everywhere for informantion like this and I swear it's impossible to find on the internet or even in books and magazines!!!:bomb:
  2. This has been a huge help, and
  3. Do you mind me asking how long you've been in the industry for?
Cheers Brother (santahat) :santa:

BlackKlavier

HSC
hey mate i know how you feel. a bunch of terms may start flying over your head especially in materials science.
if you (or anyone else) are interested I have just finished my current batch of engineering studies students and am ready to start a new year 12 class.
Graduated in 2012 from Baulkham Hills High with and Engg Studies mark of 95.
I'm in the Hills District but if that's a little far for you I'm happy to conduct online tutoring sessions as well.
email me if interested at: kausthub.k@live.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)