• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Trouble with Teachers.... (1 Viewer)

LynH1326

HSC
My music teacher does not want anyone to be a singer in this HSC at our school. What I wanna do for my HSC in music is to play 2 flute pieces and have a vocal piece (my 4th option is a Viva). How can one do musicals on a flute without a band playing the rest of it? I really wanna do musicals and sing, so i'm going to anyways.
Is anyone else having this trouble?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
It's possible you can just go against your teacher's wishes and do what you feel would be most appropriate, but before you do -

Have you told why you want a vocal piece by this justification? It just sounds like your teacher doesn't want a gazillion students doing voice, because of the image and the idea of being a pop-star - every other music class in other schools are filled with singers, believe me.

Also, he/she may feel that its severely competitive for the HSC. All you are asking is a reason. Ask for what alternatives you could use if he/she truly feels vocals are inappropriate - you just wanna achieve good results, and you're asking for advice.

If this doesn't work, you can discuss this with your principal, deputy principal or head teacher. Do not feel like you're dobbing them, just merely a second opinion. "Do you think its a good idea if i do vocal etc" and if yes, later tell them that you are not giving enough support or material to help you and was wondering if you could discuss your options. That way - you're not dobbing the teacher in - you're saying you're having trouble with the course and how to tackle the hsc in your current situations. Letting someone know would be a good idea.

That way, ignoring your teacher's wishes will be safer when the principal etc knows that you are concerned with your studies, rather than giving attitude to do the teacher.

You'll also find that musicals are hard to get together too , unless your school is predominantly filled with musicians...

Hope that helps.

Monz

HSC
Hahaha, your teacher's idea would be screwed if she came to work at our school, we have like 4 instrumentalists (and ones 'part-time' lol, she sings aswell) out of a class of 24, hahaha!

AmenoKitarou

HSC
My school's music class is pretty ok.....

Music 1 has 11 people, 3 of them sing.

Music 2 has two people (me and another guy), we're both Amus instrumentalists.

Blake R-H

HSC
We have 2 music1 students, and 5 music2 students (including 2 ext).

no singers, 2 brass players (me on trumpet! :D ), 1 guitar (he is not very good with musicology, but man, can he play that guitar. <worship>), and 4 piano (one pianst plays bass guitar and violin).

we had one person sing in all of year 9 and 10, cause he couldnt play drums (he did try though).

LynH1326

HSC
Ok. My class has 7 (music 1). 1 "singer", 2 sax players (1 alto, 1 tenor), 2 guitarists, 1 violinist/celloist, and me the flute player.

In the end, I decided to play 3 pieces on flute and do the viva (aggh wednesday is my exam day!!!!!!!!) because "the singer" was trying to copy me, and i got fed up with her, so I decided to play on my strengths rather than what I'd enjoy. Rather childish, but I hate people copying me. It cheeses me off.

mrthw88z

HSC
N/A
At our school we have 23 Music 1 students. They can do anything they want.
It is the students HSC. Teachers can only guide - not dictate.

Being a teacher myself. Your teacher may have a reason. Maybe he/she thinks that you would get better marks on flute..
Maybe he/she is trying to nicely say "you can't sing in tune" :eek:

[Hopefully not] but you need to take your teachers advice, listen to your friends, discuss with your parents and then it is YOU [noone else] who must make the decision.

Maybe you should scare your teacher and turn up to school with a set of bagpipes and say "It's this or vocals"

:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)