True that Bachelor of Commerce sucks at Usyd? (1 Viewer)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'm the most hapless of all the Asians.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
stazi said:
...why not? it is ethical. it is unethical to select someone on the basis of their race. it is ethical to accept someone on the basis of the quality of their education.
On the quality of their education sure, that's fine, but on the basis of educational institution not really. Similar to the way in which you find variation of any given trait within a particular race you are also likely to find varying levels of talent amongst individuals from any one given educational institution. You can still get a broad feel for the skill sets people tend to acquire when they attend a particular institution, but I still think its fairer to assess on a person-by-person basis (of course, this may not be the most profitable, but I don't equate the profitable with the ethical so this is a bit of a side issue).

patty4848

HSC
Trebla said:
How is it? Here's a compare the pair example:
Student A - went to USYD to study a degree (say Commerce). He/she manages Pass average in the degree after graduation.
Student B - went to UWS to study the same degree. He/she manages Distinction average + Honours in the degree after graduation.

Would it be ethical for an employer to pick student A, simply because he/she came from USYD, regardless of their obvious differences in achievements?

Selection of an employee shouldn't be based on which uni one went to. It shouldn't be about the "quality of their education", but the quality of the individual. In the end it's the same degree and its the difference in achievements that count because they kinda show your committment to the degree.

I know that some employers do practice this (which is unfortunate) but the fact is that it would be unfair to judge someone purely on that basis.
Your examples of Student A and B are not compared on the same basis though. You said it is unfair to judge someone purely on that basis, except that you aren't comparing them on that basis. I'm hoping that you meant...
Student A - Went to a well-established, good-reputation university and did a BCom and got a credit average...
Student B - Went to a newly-established, somewhat unknown university, did the same degree with the same average...

You can't really say its unethical to choose someone on the basis of their university, because employers these days look for so much more than just education. You may have the personality of a pencil, yet hold a masters of HR Management, and if they see that lack of personality then like hell they are going to hire you for a HR job...
However, if I was in the employers shoes, and I interviewed, reference-checked and researched my potential employees, and still they were exactly the same (highly unlikely), then wouldn't you choose the one from USyd???

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
yes. it is very true,. usyd sucks. you should do b business at uws. theere course is far suprior and they have a much better campus and social life.

trust me you will not regret it
qft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)