"Turn it in" (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah im afraid that ill get pinged for this, unintentional plaigarism and what not, and the very same argument that "nothing is original" is a stupid concept. If there is a text out there which is similar or the same thought as we get, and we are not aware of it and yet still find the similarities how the hell can we be responsible for 'plaigraising' when the very facet and aim of the question is to lure you into one of several paths and by doing so you are according yourself into a pre-determined response and structure.

Its stupid really, especially if the same questions are being asked.

iwannarock

HSC
this thing sounds ridiculous. 4 words? that'd come up all the time.

pretty soon every single paragraph or sentence will have to be footnoted in one way or another. It'd be like yes i wrote this with my own ideas, but that was after reading these books to form my opinion. This is how we learn, we read stuff, we think "oh he makes a good point, or oh i disagree with that, or this counters so and so's argument about whatever" then we write about it. Are we expected to write based on our own knowledge? Everything we learn in a course gets used in our essays in one way or another. May aswell footnote everysingle line of your essay. Its ridiculous.

im scared now about this philosophy essay. I found some articles on the internet that used lots of quotes from references that sounded interesting. So i used some of these quotes, and referenced them from the book or article they were from. See technically i've never read the whole book or article, but the quote is from there. The article on the internet just pointed me towards them. its not plagiarism is it? Its like if a book 1 has a quote from a book 2. And you use that quote and reference book 2 and thats it, but you've never even read book 2 if it wasnt for book 1 u woulda never known about it. how the hell does that work in the plagiarism world.

ah im not making sense.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
I think turn it in is terrible idea. Sometimes a person may use the exact same formulation of words as joe blow at university x...that aint plagerism. You cant claim a 'string of 4 words' as your own and say its plagerism when someone happens to use the same formulation of words (its only 4!)

Howabout

'Karl Marx asserts that we live in a class society'

How many people use that formulation of words?

Academics should know when someone has plagerised. They are experts in their field.

Plagerism is when you steal someones idea and you pass it off as your own or you copy large slabs of other peoples work without referencing....including large slabs of paraphasing.
Have no fear, turn-it-in is a lot smarter than that. It contains extremely sophisticated alogorithms to work out the probability of sections being plagiarised. It provides special reports which show you the copied segments and what it is comparing them to. It's actually a very powerful and useful system.

Academics cannot know every single essay written on a topic, especially when it is a popular topic with millions of different works out there.

doe

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
That is all true. I know some people who get very high arts marks who simply just make up quotes and references :\
my mother did this. she'd be in an exam writing an essay and she'd just make up studies.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
u can create historians in HSC modern history as well :p i wouldnt recommend it tho....I'm suprised u can get away with such 'creativity' in uni

X

xeuyrawp

Supra said:
u can create historians in HSC modern history as well :p i wouldnt recommend it tho....I'm suprised u can get away with such 'creativity' in uni
Hmm generally either 1. they can tell you're making them up, or 2. you don't get as much credit for it because they've never heard of the historian.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Interesting system...

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear, right??...*gulp*

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
Interesting system...

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear, right??...*gulp*
Especially since most tutors will respond to begging, and doctors respond to giving out Doc's Certs if you ask nicely.... Which will give you an extension.

CrashOveride

HSC
Plagiarism is defined as using someone elses work as your own.
if i took some lines verbatim from a book, but i put that book in the bibliography (ok maybe i shud have done harvard ref system but anyway) ...even if this system picks up on it..its ok right? because ive put the source in my bibligraphy ?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
was this for eco crash? im sure ull b fine man, i dont think the eco ppl will b that fukd up for our first assignment...

quick question guys: If an idea is generally held by numerous authors, do we really need to reference that, coz if we reference it to one book its really not fair coz we havent acknowledged the otehr writed who hold the same idea...

e.g teh sky is blue....just say this view is more or less held by a few historians, do we need to reference it to one particular person or do we just leave it as it is (no refernce) as it is generally accepted?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Who knows, i say this system is flawed :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)