Turning Points Of The War (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Can anyone please elblorate on why these battles were turning points? my ideas and thoughts seem to be general and not specific enough. Thanks.

The Battle of Britain
The Battle of the Atlantic
The Russian Campaign: (Operation Barbarossa, the Battle of Stalingard and Kursk)
El Alamein

Btw. i hope they give us a q on the causes of the war :D

T

Testpilot

This is conflict in Europe right? I don't do it but i'll have a crack at the war's major events off the top of my head.

1. Germany invades Poland thus kickstarting the war.
  2. Germany's Blitzkreig (lightning war) captures France and the low countries.
  3. Germany's loss in the Battle of Britain and the subsequent failure of Operation Sealion (invasion of Britain), this was due to the Luftwaffe being ordered to bomb cities rather the places of strategic importance to the RAF (e.g. factories, airfields). Thus removing the pressure on the RAF allowing them to force the Germans to indefinately post-pone invasion.
  4. Italy draging the Germans into North Africa which led to them being over extended (it was another front on top of the occupational duties)
  5. Failure to defeat Russia in the first year of Operation Barbarosa allowing the Russians to develop large armies, large amounts of weapons and new technology. Once the winter set in the Germans had lost momentum and they never regained it.
  6. Pearl Harbour attacks led to Hitler aligning with the Japanese and allowed US congress to ditch isolationalism and the lend lease program and brought their industrial + technological weight behind the allies.
  7. Italy-Another front tied up German resources because they were too proud to let Italy be captured, also it held military importance.
  8. D-Day invasion and subsequent battles, especially the Battle of the Bulge.
  9. Collapse of the Eastern front.
  10. Daylight (US)/night time (RAF) bombing raids into Germany disrupted industry and required valuable frontline resources such as Me109s and Fw 190s to be brought back to defend the Fatherland. Quote Schwienfort ball bearing raid as proof.
Obviously some are more important than others.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Battle of the Atlantic allowed Britain to remain in the war by preventing the Germans from blocking its food supplies - it was a close-run thing, at one point there was only about two weeks' supply of grain left. Churchill said that the U-boat threat was the only thing that really scared him during the war.

I would be willing to convert to any religion that could guarantee me turning points or causes for WW2 and peasant communism or effectiveness of the GMD for China.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)