Tutes and Lectures (1 Viewer)

School_Burger

Old Member
HSC
natstar said:
Just to sum up:
-For most units you can only miss 2 tutorials, unless specified otherwise. Some units ive had wont let you miss ANY tutorials and ANY lectures unless you tell the teacher before hand, or have a doctors certficate or someother legible reason.
-Most lectures dont have a roll, though some do.

-While your attendence in tutes is crucial to whether you fail or pass the unit. More than 2 unexplained absences in tutes = fail by attendence. If you miss more than 2 you have to have a doc certificate or other evidence for other circumstances. When my grandma died last year, I had to provide a photocopy of her death certificate, a letter from my dad and a copy of her deather notice from the paper (this was for handing an assignment in late, but im sure they will ask for that kind of documentation when explaining absences).

-Why do some teachers take roll in lectures? Well if you fail the unit, but only by a couple of marks, they will look to your attendence in lectures to see whether not attending them caused you to fail. If its seen that you attended all of the lectures of only missed 1, its known that they may pass you on this.

-Yes you can walk out of lectures. Though it is quite rude. If the lecture has a roll, most of the time the roll is left to the end to avoid this. try not to be late, especially if your in a large lecture theatre and theres hundreds of people in the room and you neak in late...if you dont like the attention that is.

-Dont walk out of tutes if you can help it. Its rude. If you have to leave early let the tutor know at the start of the lesson. If the class is running late, let the teacher know if you have another class to go to. Again dont be late, its also rude.

-Not all classes all the time finish right on the dot. When everything that needs to be covered is covered the class will end. In some of my seminars, they have ended up to 1/2 hour early than what timetabled.

-As Klh said, most lectures/tutes start about 10 mins in, as the teacher likes to wait until everyone has arrived until they start the class. Theres nothing worse than starting a class then having lots of people come in and interupt

omg Natstar your a legend!!!! thanks for that post, you cleared alot of things up
kudos to Natstar

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
-Dont walk out of tutes if you can help it. Its rude. If you have to leave early let the tutor know at the start of the lesson. If the class is running late, let the teacher know if you have another class to go to. Again dont be late, its also rude.
So I am best of explaining to the lecturers (both of them) before the lesson that I have to get from intro (finising at 11) in EDG74 to torts (starting starting at 11) in LU? I don;t really want to leave early/arrive late coz I don't want to miss stuff every single week, lucky its only every Monday and not on Thursdays...

I have Simon and Susan are they nice or are they mean lol?

L

LaraB

melsc said:
So I am best of explaining to the lecturers (both of them) before the lesson that I have to get from intro (finising at 11) in EDG74 to torts (starting starting at 11) in LU? I don;t really want to leave early/arrive late coz I don't want to miss stuff every single week, lucky its only every Monday and not on Thursdays...

I have Simon and Susan are they nice or are they mean lol?
yep - tell em both.

everyone agrees simon is a really great teacher and really nice - susan - if it's susan fitzpatrick - i dunno, some people don't like her but i think she's really nice (provided you do your work, which you should anyways:)) her teaching methods may be a bit hard for some, but those peop etended to be the ones who never did their work.. if you do your work, and you still don't get her explanation - she's always around at consultation tiem unlike some lecturers and she's always happy to help those who put the effort in

lol Susan - she totally understands:p we had her for torts on the other campus and she bitched bout it as much as we did.

simon should be alrite with it long as you let him know but just a warning - his lectures are worth staying for and missing a bit of the next class... espec if they nex class is torts lol coz susan understands its a bitch..

simon's an awesome teacher but sometimes that means he runs late - coz he tries to get as much stuff in as possible, and you probably sdon't want to leave in the last few minutes early coz he sometimes tells you about h/w he does/doesn't want you o do as he doesn't always follow the seminar guide.

but you should try to find someone in each class you are in who isn't in the other that you can get the info you missed out on from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Oh, thats not fair! Attendence is ALWAYS marked in my lectures :( Miss 2 and your basically screwed, they can fail you if your assignments aren't up to scratch.

L

LaraB

Cape said:
Oh, thats not fair! Attendence is ALWAYS marked in my lectures :( Miss 2 and your basically screwed, they can fail you if your assignments aren't up to scratch.
I've had some like that and some who were really nice...

A lot of the law 'seminar leaders' give up marking attendance after a few weeks coz it's just a pain in the butt - so you can often miss a class here and tehre unnoticed:) Not a good idea to miss more than 2 or 3 though simply coz you could miss important info.

ally15

Beep.
HSC
oh my i have a back to back class as well
*checks room numbers...

ok phew they are close so i dont have to do a mad dash.

i have a lab session at the north campus, how do i get to Parra station from there? Do i have to walk to the bus stop thats at the front entrance of the uni?

L

LaraB

ally15 said:
oh my i have a back to back class as well
*checks room numbers...

ok phew they are close so i dont have to do a mad dash.

i have a lab session at the north campus, how do i get to Parra station from there? Do i have to walk to the bus stop thats at the front entrance of the uni?
just walk across the road opposite the north campus - there's a few stops there within 100 or so metres...

or if you can't see it yeah, jus walk down to the usual stop outside the main campus

odd_one_out

HSC
natstar said:
-Yes you can walk out of lectures. Though it is quite rude. If the lecture has a roll, most of the time the roll is left to the end to avoid this. try not to be late, especially if your in a large lecture theatre and theres hundreds of people in the room and you neak in late...if you dont like the attention that is.
Would it be a problem to regularly leave early (45 mins to a hour) for one two hour lecture when I have 2 two hour lectures for this subject a week? Also considering this lectuer is supposed to finish 6pm at night. And thanks natstar for your extremely informative list:)

Optophobia

HSC
How do we find out when our first tutorial/lecture is?

I noticed someone mentioned something about a portal you can log on to check when you first need to go to campus (after orientation).

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Re: How do we find out when our first tutorial/lecture is?

IB6-UB9 said:

I noticed someone mentioned something about a portal you can log on to check when you first need to go to campus (after orientation).
Huh? Don't all lectures start Monday 27th; and tutes start either first or second week (stated on the timetable)? :S

School_Burger

Old Member
HSC
yeah all lectures start on the furst week
and most tutorials state when they start on the timetable. 2 of my tutes dont mention anything about starting dates

i wish there was a way i cud check

L

LaraB

School_Burger said:
yeah all lectures start on the furst week
and most tutorials state when they start on the timetable. 2 of my tutes dont mention anything about starting dates

i wish there was a way i cud check
it'll be in the unit outlines which will be up on wednesday on webct.

if you need to know now due to work or whatever, email the unit coordinator or check pweb tute rego - sometimes they put the starting dates etc up there

L

LaraB

odd_one_out said:
Would it be a problem to regularly leave early (45 mins to a hour) for one two hour lecture when I have 2 two hour lectures for this subject a week? Also considering this lectuer is supposed to finish 6pm at night. And thanks natstar for your extremely informative list:)
if you're in a large room - like the auditorium at parra - probably not, as long as you sat in a spot that made leaving easy and disruption free.. however, if you're in an ordinary class room - it's a BAD idea because lecturers really hate people leaving heaps early...

But - if you absolutely have to - usually there is a break half-way-ish so go then.

That said - if you want to leave early just beacuse you have 2x2hr lectures each week - there's a reason why they have 2x2hrs.... eg law seminars are 2 hours and it's because you use the 2hours and it's still not enough time. Wait and see what happens the 1st few weeks. The lectures may be important and you mayy need to stay the full 2 hours, or it may end up that they finish 1/2 an hour early anyway so you won 't have to leave early.

odd_one_out

HSC
LaraB said:
if you're in a large room - like the auditorium at parra - probably not, as long as you sat in a spot that made leaving easy and disruption free.. however, if you're in an ordinary class room - it's a BAD idea because lecturers really hate people leaving heaps early...

But - if you absolutely have to - usually there is a break half-way-ish so go then.

That said - if you want to leave early just beacuse you have 2x2hr lectures each week - there's a reason why they have 2x2hrs.... eg law seminars are 2 hours and it's because you use the 2hours and it's still not enough time. Wait and see what happens the 1st few weeks. The lectures may be important and you mayy need to stay the full 2 hours, or it may end up that they finish 1/2 an hour early anyway so you won 't have to leave early.
Alright thanks heaps, so basically just sit somewhere that leaving dosen't cause a disturbance. And no I don't just want to leave just because I need to go to sport, and yes I need to go :), it is completely essential to my being.

L

LaraB

odd_one_out said:
Alright thanks heaps, so basically just sit somewhere that leaving dosen't cause a disturbance. And no I don't just want to leave just because I need to go to sport, and yes I need to go :), it is completely essential to my being.
if you say so:p

still... most lectures that run for the full 2 hours do so for a reason so you may want to actually stay every now and then otherwise you're likely to miss stuff and people will get lazy and do the same after a while too so you may run outta people to copy notes from..

make sure though that in your unit outline it isn't 'compulsory attendance' coz if that's the case if you are seen leaving most weeks it can affect whether or not you pass.

odd_one_out

HSC
LaraB said:
make sure though that in your unit outline it isn't 'compulsory attendance' coz if that's the case if you are seen leaving most weeks it can affect whether or not you pass.
:) Thank you so much for the advice. And it better not be compulsory attendance or I'm screwed :worried: I'm also assuming we get these 'unit outlines' in the first week of uni?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
I know this is a stupid question, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

University starts on Monday, right? :confused:
lol - yes.
Don't you have a "First Year Students' 2006 Diary"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)