Tutor: Far North Coast. 2 state rankings. UAI- 98.60. humanities/creative subjects (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Hello, my name is Matthew.

Firstly, I live on the far north coast and will be able to tutor students from Ballina, Lennox head, probably Alstonville, and quite possibly Lismore. If you are from these areas and interested in getting some tutoring, I urge you to contact me as there are not many ex-HSC students with results like mine still in the area. I have also had experience tutoring guitar, and I consider myself a good teacher and communicator.

I am a trinity graduate of 2005, and during 2006 (deferring Uni for a year) I will be offering tutoring to both year 11 (preliminary) and year 12 (HSC) students. I achieved a UAI of 98.60 and two state-rankings and I’m keen to help students achieve their own goals in order to secure a place in their desired University course.

I can explain the content of your courses, the processes the BOS and UAC use (such as rankings, rank-1 advantage, moderation, alignment, scaling) help with all assessment tasks (including speeches, performances, prepared essays and exams, halfyearlys and trials), exam technique, essay writing, and share all my resources- notes, texts, assessment tasks, essays etc.

Subjects I'm tutoring for

Drama, 95/100 (top 1 % of state)
I can bring your IP up to A-range quality (27+), my specialty is the performance option. I can direct you to suitable plays considering your abilities, strengths and interests. From there (or if you already have a script) we will workshop your performance in the areas of voice, movement, staging etc. all the while with a close eye on the marking criteria. Keep in mind I wrote a play for English ext 2, so I can also guide you if you’ve chosen the script option. I can give you advice as to the GP, but naturally I'd leave that to you and your group. For the written exams I studied Australian theatre (contemporary) with "Gary's House" and "7 stages". If your texts aren't these, not to worry- I will quickly read the plays you are studying. For the theatrical styles option I studied Brechtian or Epic theatre focusing on the plays "The Threepenny Opera" and "Mother Courage and her children". I can teach you how to write a drama essay as opposed to an English one.

English Ext 1, 46/50 (top 10 % of state)
My option was postmodernism. I can help you get a good grip on this slippery topic. I will firstly introduce you to some of the main ideas/strands in the postmodernist movement, explain how these relate to your texts, teach you the many postmodern techniques (both for identification in texts and employment in your composition), and help you hone your essay-writing style to the high quality required for this course. The texts I studied are “Dead White Males”, “The French Lieutenant’s woman” and “Orlando”.

English Ext 2, 50/50 (8th place in NSW)
I will help you along with all stages of the MW, from cooking up an entirely unique and clever idea that will really hit the markers where it hurts their egos because they didn’t think of it, to wrapping it up in some nice ribbons to send off to the board of studies. For my MW I wrote a script, so I guess script-writing is my specialty. However, regardless of your medium I still have a very informed opinion on all variety of literature and can help significantly with your piece. Also, the reflection statement is an important component of the MW, and I will help you craft an eloquent and clever reflection statement that will make all the difference for your result.

Mod History, 94/100 (top 2 % of state)
This was one of my favourite subjects and one which I consider myself quite talented at teaching. I promote a content and strategy based learning and I believe this is the best way to score marks in this course. What I mean by this, is having a thorough knowledge of the content of the course- dates, names and events- combined with an essay/exam strategy that closely fits the syllabus dot-points and rubric. The topics I studied were WW1, Germany, Albert Speer and the cold war. Since the end of the HSC I have also studied Russia, and conflict in Asia-pacific to the point where I’m confident to teach these to.

History Ext, 48/50 (10th place in NSW)
This difficult subject often catches out the best of students, and is considered by many to require the most skilful and researched essays. The historiographical concepts are often difficult to grasp and this is where some one-on-one tutoring is necessary. I have a wealth of resources and tips including a complete summary of the source-book- something you won’t find anywhere else. I studied the option of JFK and am currently working on learning the other popular options, so no matter what your combination, I can tutor you. The project is also one of the most daunting aspects of this course, your results in which will either make or break your internal mark. I placed 1st in my class by a significant margin, scoring 73/75. I will help you flesh out an original and interesting hypothesis, guide you through research, and critique your essay until we are both confident that it will score very highly. I see too many students who are studying this course without really knowing what it is about- make sure your not one of them.

SOR 1, 45/50 (top 10 % of state)
This course is compulsory for many students who attend catholic schools. While it isn’t the most academic course, it is often difficult to score in the upper range. I intend to help students score highly without too excessive effort.

I’ve also received a prestigious University of Sydney Scholarship , and can help students seek out scholarship opportunities and write impressive applications.

My rates are competitive and negotiable- from 15-20 dollars.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Re: Tutor: Far North Coast. 2 state rankings. UAI- 98.60. humanities/creative subject

i concur...

congrat on the result btw...
though given ur marks, i am mildly surprized u didn't get into 99.xx range...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Re: Tutor: Far North Coast. 2 state rankings. UAI- 98.60. humanities/creative subject

Thanks for the input Mr Brightside. I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable charging more than 20, or for that matter if I'd attract enough students. I'll consider that when I gauge my market.

Thanks Xiao. haha, the reason I'm not 99 or higher is this little subject called.... advanced english! Which I got 87 for. Damn those 1st exam nerves! Plus, of course, not doing any maths and sciences. Though I don't blame that, because I wouldn't have done that well in them anyway! PS: expect me to return the bump sometime when your thread is in need of it.

Any far-north coaster who happens to stumble into this forum, and subsequently slip into this thread- please contact me! I feel it is my personal responsibility to help maximise your HSC marks.

EDIT: hmmm, I couldn't find your tutoring thread... I swear you did have one, right?

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

mr_brightside said:
Dude 15 - 20?

ask for more.
Agreed. When I did the whole 'business' tutoring thing, I did $25 per hour, which is what I now get for ESL tutoring.

Put it this way: 15-20 is what you get in a good retail job. In a good retail job, you don't have to work outside hours in preparation, you might not have to drive very far, it's not very challenging, etc etc.

fleepbasding said:
Thanks for the input Mr Brightside. I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable charging more than 20, or for that matter if I'd attract enough students. I'll consider that when I gauge my market.
Don't be affraid to charge a good amount, even if you're starting out. As a tutor, it's difficult to screw-over a student -- they will be the first one to tell their parents that it's not working out, and the parents will be the first one to ring you up. (Unless you're tutoring Japanese kids, in which case, the parents ring up the tutoring company, who have to tell you, so you don't lose face :S)

Last edited by a moderator:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC

OK. Yeah, I'll really have to think about it. But also consider I don't live in the city (atm). I'm worried that there's a small market here.

But yeah- 20 dollars + additional expenses (if they live too far away) which won't add up to more than 5 dollars. But bassically if you live close enough, I'll charge 20 dollars (negotiable, haha).

Remember kids- What I lack in experience, I more than make up for in saturation advertising!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC

A question- would I get more students in Sydney? If I was offering tutoring in Sydney, would you be interested?

I ask because my Dad has lately been suggesting that I move to Sydney ASAP (even though I'm deferring Uni for a year)... I'm pretty uncertain about this though.

Anyway, bump!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A

fleepbasding said:
A question- would I get more students in Sydney? If I was offering tutoring in Sydney, would you be interested?

I ask because my Dad has lately been suggesting that I move to Sydney ASAP (even though I'm deferring Uni for a year)... I'm pretty uncertain about this though.

Anyway, bump!
u get more competition, but clearly a bigger market at the same time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)