• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tutor = good ?? (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
Is tutor necessary for 3 unit math ??

I feel degraded when others are getting tutored for math (3/4 units) and get high results. But then again there are heaps of 4 units students in my school that don't get tutored and aces the exam ....

HSC
Uni Grad
If you can understand the content and apply yourself to do well, as well as to do questions as quick as possible without making mistakes, you should be fine =D
In some cases, tutors go ahead with different topics, which can be a bad thing and in some cases, give you heaps of work on that topic. =_=

I'm personally vowing to quit tutoring unless if my tutor helps me, as he's drifting through different topics, throwing me work and not really explaining them to me T_T

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Is tutor necessary for 3 unit math ??

I feel degraded when others are getting tutored for math (3/4 units) and get high results. But then again there are heaps of 4 units students in my school that don't get tutored and aces the exam ....
Depends really. Some people are smart, can self-study and don't need a tutor. Some are reasonably smart but not smart enough and can benefit from a GOOD tutor (tutor quality varies). Some are beyond help even with a good tutor.

Many students are already very good but get a tutor anyway just to give their performance a further boost or to increase the probability they score say 97 - especially if they need to get into extremely competitve courses like Medicine, or Law at Usyd.

Last edited:

xV1P3R

HSC
The key to Mathematics is getting a lot of exposure and practice. If you're one of those people that isn't very motivated, then a tutor will definitely help. Tutoring gives you an extra push that school might not provide, and it also gives you another batch of techniques on how to solve problems.

But if you're on of those people who take the initiative and complete your school's homework and do additional exercises from textbooks and past papers, then a tutor will be less helpful. If you're willing to ask your teacher for help (and if your teacher is willing) then there's little your tutor can provide that you can't get yourself.

I didn't go tutoring and still managed to get a 99 in 3u.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Then just grab a textbook, self learn and go through past papers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)