Tutorial attendance... fail? (1 Viewer)

John555

HSC
Hello,
I am from Monash University faculty of economics and business and I was concerned about my first year management subject. I recently found out I needed to attend 80% of my tutorials to pass this unit of study, it also carries a mark of 5%. There are 13 tutorials altogether, I have attended 10, that equals about 76.9% or 77% attendance. One of the tutorials I missed was because I had that tutorial on good Friday and my diary said the university was closed on that date. What do you guys think?

I would appreciate advice comments from anyone, but preferably from people who have experience or have a good idea of what they are talking about.

Thankyou for your time

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
LOL dumb first years, the only way you get an attendance fail is to miss more then 50% of your tutes, no tutor is going to be a bitch and fail you for missing a couple of tutes

John555

HSC
Thank you for your reply. I do hope you are right, however my unit outline did mention 80% tutorials so I am not too sure. Your statement about 50% attendance would most likely be correct for my other units that don't mention this 80% attendance thing.

spence

HSC
Thank you for your reply. I do hope you are right, however my unit outline did mention 80% tutorials so I am not too sure. Your statement about 50% attendance would most likely be correct for my other units that don't mention this 80% attendance thing.
Did it say you need to attend 80% to pass, or 80% to get the participation marks? Either way, email the course co-ordinator, they'll be able to tell you for sure what the situation is

LJCorbin

HSC
It completely depends on your tutor and lecturer. Most unit outlines will state 80% as the minimum but few enforce it in my experience. If you only turn up to half the tutorials but consistently participate and attain a good average on your essays/exams - they're not going to fail you.

A good rule of thumb when missing tutorials might be to-

1. Talk to your tutor about it;
2. Put extra hours into the assignments and
3. Avoid strenuous physical labour (especially in the rain).

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
It completely depends on your tutor and lecturer. Most unit outlines will state 80% as the minimum but few enforce it in my experience. If you only turn up to half the tutorials but consistently participate and attain a good average on your essays/exams - they're not going to fail you.

A good rule of thumb when missing tutorials might be to-

1. Talk to your tutor about it;
2. Put extra hours into the assignments and
3. Avoid strenuous physical labour (especially in the rain).
um lol @ third point

hotdimsim

HSC
they'd be pretty hard arsed to fail you if you went to 77% of tutes and got half decent marks, even if the min was 80%. If you think about it logically, if you average a distinction, yet dont go to 80% of the tutes and hence fail the subject, what happens to the people that go to 80% but only scrape passes and therefore pass the subject.

it sounds as if the 80% attendance is so you get the 5% overall to your final mark for tutorial work, not for the whole subject.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
they generally don't fail first years..... so you have nothing to worry about. anyway it's only 5% of your total mark.

spence

HSC
they'd be pretty hard arsed to fail you if you went to 77% of tutes and got half decent marks, even if the min was 80%. If you think about it logically, if you average a distinction, yet dont go to 80% of the tutes and hence fail the subject, what happens to the people that go to 80% but only scrape passes and therefore pass the subject.

it sounds as if the 80% attendance is so you get the 5% overall to your final mark for tutorial work, not for the whole subject.
If 80% attendance is required, then if you think about it logically, in the 1st case the requirements haven't been met, in the second they have.
They probably won't fail you, but if 80% is required, they can fail you regardless of your marks

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
lol, it doesn't count if one was on a good friday

seriously

John555

HSC
lol, it doesn't count if one was on a good friday

seriously
Actually one of the tutorials that I missed was on good Friday. It specifically said the University was closed on that day as well...

Last edited:
HSC
Actually one of the tutorials that I missed was on good Friday. It specifically said the University was closed on that day as well...
Well then, this absence doesn't count. As long as there wasn't a replacement tute scheduled that you missed, then you won't be counted as having missed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)