Tutorial attendance (1 Viewer)

T

thegovernator

i know a person who didn't attend 1 tutorial all semester, and managed to get straight d's. how is this possible? easily half the contact hours were tutes and he barely ever went to lectures too, although he said he got the tapes.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
thegovernator said:
i know a person who didn't attend 1 tutorial all semester, and managed to get straight d's. how is this possible? easily half the contact hours were tutes and he barely ever went to lectures too, although he said he got the tapes.
Because tutorials and lectures don't work for everyone? I know quite a few people (myself included) who did fairly well in first year without going to any class.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
thegovernator said:
Well how did they pass? for my subjects if you want to pass you have to attend an minimum amount of tutorials + tute attendance and parcipitation is like 5-10%.

Xytech

HSC
N/A
at monash its 10% but i don't think its actually compulsory to attend.
so you could get by with D's without going to tuts.

issloo

HSC
Yea, damn hard if u are just going to chuck 10% away straight away though.. its not that hard rocking up to 1 hour a week.

banco55

HSC
I don't think any ANU law class has a compulsory tutorial/lecture attendance component.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
In all law subjects I have done at both UWS and MACQ you must have attended 80% or you fail automatically. If they dont have to do this lots of people still manage but they'd probably have to study hard at home. I prefer attending everything then only having to do a little bit of revision at the end.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I find it unusual that you doubt the possibility of doing well notwithstanding low attendance. Personally, I learn very little at uni. Everything I learn is from doing the readings at home.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Different people have different learning methods I guess. I haven't taken notes since first year, and every session without fail, someone notices that I just sit there and they tell me how they can't believe I haven't failed out yet.

Can't say I'd be able to skip lectures and tutes though... besides the fact that attendance/participation carries its own marks, I'd be lost if I stayed at home. I'd have no idea what areas I'd need to cram for.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
At Melbourne, there are no marks allocated to our seminars. Nobody cares if you turn up or not, and a lot of people regularly skip early morning classes or ones before a long gap. I prefer to go, though, and take notes - I figure if I'm paying all that money for tuition and I enjoy what we do, getting up early isn't so bad.
I guess my view will change once we get to a truly horrible subject.

L

LaraB

issloo said:
Yea, damn hard if u are just going to chuck 10% away straight away though.. its not that hard rocking up to 1 hour a week.
not really...

If tute attendance is say, 10%, that just means that you'd need 75/90 for the remaining assessments which would require D marks still only not HDs...

Especially in first year when the units ' workloads are less time consuming (at least they were for me) it shouldn't be too hard if you're conscientious :)

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Well depends on the subject. I have to do quizzes and presentations for my tutes, so i must go or either fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)