Tutoring HSC students, doing law at Usyd - English Adv,EX1,EX2,MH,LS,SOC,AH (1 Viewer)

viratbond

HSC
Hi,
I am Virat. I graduated from the class of 2010 and have got into combined law at the University of Sydney. I am enrolled in B Meco/B Laws. Combined law is one of the hardest programs to get into, especially at USYD. Any skeptics who want to dig around, I’m happy to clear any doubts.

I offer tutoring in English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, Society and Culture and Legal Studies for HSC students and also tutoring for students from yr 7 -11.

English Advanced –
Critical Study of Texts – Hamlet: Shakespeare is my specialty. You will analyse Hamlet in conjunction with Jan Kott’s “Shakespeare: Our Contemporary”. Especially, I will focus towards the ‘personal interpretation’ that the HSC markers are keenly looking forward to in the student responses. There are existential, metaphysical, absurdist, political, contextual, nihilistic and many other interpretations of Hamlet that I have imbibed. My students can pick any one of these interpretations and form a centralized thesis that will really push their responses into the top band. Those who are philosophically oriented can learn how Kant’s categorical imperative fits into Hamlet. I have also given lectures on the existential nature of Hamlet to current year 12 students in schools.

Plus, you get access to a wealth of resources – my notes, essays, other top band essays and critical interpretations!

Comparative study of Texts – Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice. But I’ve also read Frankenstein and Blade runner when I was helping my batch so I’m capable of tutoring both.

History and Memory – Levertov (poems of Denise Levertov).

English Extension 1 –
Texts and Ways of Thinking, elective: After the Bomb. Apart from the usual essays and creatives you get access to Dr Strangelove’s America, a book that basically teaches the course! Also, rise of existentialism, feud between Sartre and Camus, including texts by Camus – The Fall, The myth of Sisyphus, and The Stranger and by Sartre – Existentialism is a Humanism, No Exit, Nausea and Being and Nothingness. Also, understanding the impact of the rise of the intellectual Left in France on Cold War dynamics. Texts include – Plath (Ariel), Waiting for Godot, Catch 22, The Spy who came in from the Cold, Hiroshima. If you are looking towards feminism, extracts from The Second Sex by DeBeavoir are available, and for Godot - The Theatre of the Absurd.

English Extension 2 – HSC mark – 48 out of 50!
I love English Extension 2 and am probably the best at it. Prioritizing, quick storylines, getting over writer’s bloc all come with the portfolio. You get access to my major work, plus my insights on the necessity of editing (I edited my piece 7 times before my final draft) and conventions of short story writing.

Modern History –
World War 1 (core text), Nazi Germany, Weimar Republic, Albert Speer and Conflict in Indo-China (Vietnam). You get access to the best HSC answers going back till 1999, plus my essays and notes. Also, historians such as Shirer, Bullock, Mathias Schmidt, Gita Sereny, AJP Taylor, Ian Kershaw, Karnow, Kolko, and C.W. Bean.

Ancient History –
Pompeii and Herculaeneum (core text), Akhenaten (personality), Athenian Society in the time of Pericles, Egypt – from Amenhotep III to the death of Ramssess II. Access to a lot of notes, many historians such as Aldred, Grimal, Calendar, Plutarch, Pausanius, Lawless, Cameron, Redford and many more in the form of handouts with important lines underlined!

Legal Studies – Crime, Law and Society, Human Rights, Family (elective) and World Order (elective).

Society and Culture – contact me for any help with the PIP or your case studies. Society is much more specific so I cannot elaborate here without knowing what you are studying.

Why me?
· You get access to past papers, top HSC answers
· A centralized ‘personal’ thesis which is probably the most important to get Band 6 in English.
· I will get back to you within 24 hours if you give me material for correction or improvement.
· You get access to a lot of ‘extra’ material which shall really help you stand out amongst so many others.
· The first lesson is FREE where I will draw up a schedule which is tailored to your liking and areas where you need improvement which will be optimized for you only.

Apart from HSC students, I also tutor students from 7-11. ESL and standard students are also welcome.

Due to the high frequency of emails and catfights for positions last year, please email me or call me ASAP to discuss prices and timings. I generally take lessons at Epping library. I’m flexible with the timing (you can have your ‘personalised’ timetable).

Call me at – 0433000322
Email: viratbond@gmail.com
Or stalk me on facebook :p

Last edited:

viratbond

HSC
Bored Of Fail 3 - relax man! I said 'one' of the hardest not THE hardest. Still, cutoff for combined law was 99.55 or 99.6 at Usyd. I don't know the cutoff for 2011 but I doubt that it has gone down. Its just another way of saying "I got a high ATAR", thats all.

funnytomato

HSC
I would literally loL if I see a bored of fail 4 some day at bos.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I would literally loL if I see a bored of fail 4 some day at bos.
It's highly likely. He's gone through Random-1005, Random-1006, Random-1007, Alberteinstnein(sic), [another name], Bored of Fail, Bored of Fail2, Bored of Fail 3

At least 8 names.. and yet he keeps coming back.

viratbond

HSC
iSplicer - Thanks for that! It is exactly how you put it. I don't know how much Bored of Fail 3 read into it, unnecessarily complicating the issue.

Well, I've got some students, looking for more :)

viratbond

HSC
Oh! I had no idea about the different avatars of Bored Of Fail 3. Thanks for the info b00m and funnytomato :)

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
bored of fail strikes again

Virat, you did not tell us your ATAR. As with all the other try hards in this forum, if you wish to succeed and be accepted into the BOS hall of fags, you must give us your ridiculously high ATAR whilst making it sound like you put no effort into it.

Last edited:

viratbond

HSC
Triple777ER - Ha ha.. I got into combined law straight out of high school at Sydney uni. I think they increased the atar to 99.70 now. Before it was 99.55. What is the point of proclaiming something thats so obvious? But I like ur sarcasm :) I would gladly gloat about my riduculously high atar were it in my nature to do it.

viratbond

HSC
Hello guys! Positions going already for year 12 for 2012. Gee, people are getting eager these days :)
Get in quick!

viratbond

HSC
we doing this again? This is getting tiring. mirakon, thank you for the selective emphasis and yes, you have indeed succeeded in making look like an arrogant douche through your efforts. The person who got 50 out of 50 is from Moriah College and is also in my batch doing law from usyd. Do u want the name and number - a very good friend of mine. What I meant was that I really do love extension 2 English and am the best at it comparatively in my own efforts, not anyone else's. I feel a natural inclination towards it because I like it so much. I never intended it to mean it in an arrogant or derogatory sense.

Ah, but what's the use? People like to pick at little things and tear 'em apart. I have no choice but to defend. The rest, really, is upto you :)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Bump.

What marks did you get for those subjects, and what was your ATAR?

viratbond

HSC
@ alstah, thanks for the bump. Well, I was trying not to go for the 'I've got a high atar so I'm a qualified tutor' vibe but I guess ur right, one cannot escape it. I got an atar of 99.66. Its crazy for people trying to get into usyd cmbined law now as they've bumped it up to 99.70. I do not remember the specific marks of each subject so rather than claiming something I didn't get, I have no shame in admitting that I have no idea where I've kept my hsc portfolio and I'm lazy enough to not put in the required effort in trying to find it.

Thanks for dropping in :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)