Tutoring - Is It Necessary for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Mikdin11

HSC
Hey everyone,

After talking to a few different people, I have come across a range of different perspectives about if tutoring is necessary in the HSC, especially for those aiming for high ATAR's and doing hard subjects such as ext. math and physics. Is tutoring for these courses really as necessary as some people say it is?

vishnay

God
HSC
depends tbh

some people say tutoring isnt necessary as long as you put in the work (which is mostly true) but tutoring gives you the easy way out and gives you an edge over ur classmates - especially at a selective school

if ur aiming for competitive courses in uni like med then i would say tutoring is worth it as it saves you a lot of time esp since ur studying for ucat too
but if ur atar aim isnt particularly high and u wanna do a regular course in uni then tutoring imho isnt worth it as most people can get a 95+ by means of studying and past papers

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This depends on your ATAR aim/degree aim as mentioned above. Medicine is a quite competitive field of study and to guarantee yourself an opportunity to study medicine, you will need to maximise your resources and study time (which will typically require tutoring).

Generally speaking. tutoring usually helps, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to achieve great results by studying on your own (i.e. it doesn't mean that it's a must). Achieving good results and performing consistently well without tutoring requires that you regularly study and stay up-to-date with your content, allowing you to perform well in your assessment tasks/exams. Whenever you feel you are facing difficulties (this applies to all of your subjects), you should ask your teacher for assistance as soon as possible so that you eliminate any risk of falling behind.

In normal cases, where tutoring might become needed is if you feel that studying on your own isn't helping and if your results are not as good as you want them to be. There's also the possibility that you might be struggling to fully understand certain concepts as well as having a teacher whose explanations/assistance don't really help much.

I hope this helps! :D

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey everyone,

After talking to a few different people, I have come across a range of different perspectives about if tutoring is necessary in the HSC, especially for those aiming for high ATAR's and doing hard subjects such as ext. math and physics. Is tutoring for these courses really as necessary as some people say it is?
I had tutoring for physics but no, tutoring isn't essential for HSC

Mikdin11

HSC
If you are doing well and understanding your work in year 11, do you think tutoring on the year 11 syllabus is a waste of time/money?

HSC
I go tutoring for maths and the sciences that I am taking which has helped but I find that I am actually doing better in subjects which I don't do tutoring for but as I mentioned I do go tutoring mainly because the teachers I have for that subject is shit so it definitely does help. I don't think tutoring is necessary but I suggest it if your not the person to be motivated or the type to self learn and take in the content since year 11 and 12 is definitely a lift from junior years

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are doing well and understanding your work in year 11, do you think tutoring on the year 11 syllabus is a waste of time/money?
That could likely be the case, since you are already performing well and understanding the content, not to mention that none of the marks you receive for your year 11 assessment tasks/exams will count towards your ATAR. In such a case, you should probably think more about year 12 and determine whether or not you will need tutoring, because year 12 is the year you definitely want to be performing well in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)