tutoring or self study??? (1 Viewer)

iloveeggs

HSC
hi everyone, i'm about to start year 11 and i'm about to english adv and ext 1 and i was wondering how i should be studying to do well in these courses.

for context i'm someone that really likes english but i've never tried to focus on english outside of class and HW because i've always done really well in english (i'm just a god at doing things right before they're due and acing them). now that i'm in my prelim year tho i think i should really work on my skills. for example while i can write a 20/20 essay hand in i struggle to do so under time pressure and i need to work on the quality of my writing. so overall i feel like i need feedback and guidance on where to go from here.

my question is, should i join tutoring or stick to self study? are there any tutors you recommend?

all i really want from a tutor is feedback because i plan to write practise essays and get them marked. this is because often feedback from teachers is minimal and when i ask other students i either get really basic feedback ("oh it's so good" "work on structure" "use this word it sounds fancy") or i get told my writing is complete rubbish and that i need to rewrite most of it, which doesn't help much. on the other hand tutoring is expensive af (even private tutors on highschooltutors.com charge $70+ per hour) and i don't really need to be taught anything i just need the feedback. every other subject i'm doing as well has a demanding workload so i don't want to get homework at all., unless it adds to what i'm doing at school already.

if the tutoring thing doesn't work out, how do i self study? like i said, i've never really studied outside of coursework. i still think practice essays and stuff will help but how can i evaluate my writing on my own?

sorry for the rant guys. hope you can provide some insight!

liamkk112

HSC
hi everyone, i'm about to start year 11 and i'm about to english adv and ext 1 and i was wondering how i should be studying to do well in these courses.

for context i'm someone that really likes english but i've never tried to focus on english outside of class and HW because i've always done really well in english (i'm just a god at doing things right before they're due and acing them). now that i'm in my prelim year tho i think i should really work on my skills. for example while i can write a 20/20 essay hand in i struggle to do so under time pressure and i need to work on the quality of my writing. so overall i feel like i need feedback and guidance on where to go from here.

my question is, should i join tutoring or stick to self study? are there any tutors you recommend?

all i really want from a tutor is feedback because i plan to write practise essays and get them marked. this is because often feedback from teachers is minimal and when i ask other students i either get really basic feedback ("oh it's so good" "work on structure" "use this word it sounds fancy") or i get told my writing is complete rubbish and that i need to rewrite most of it, which doesn't help much. on the other hand tutoring is expensive af (even private tutors on highschooltutors.com charge $70+ per hour) and i don't really need to be taught anything i just need the feedback. every other subject i'm doing as well has a demanding workload so i don't want to get homework at all., unless it adds to what i'm doing at school already.

if the tutoring thing doesn't work out, how do i self study? like i said, i've never really studied outside of coursework. i still think practice essays and stuff will help but how can i evaluate my writing on my own?

sorry for the rant guys. hope you can provide some insight!
if ur teachers are open to giving u feedback/help constantly and ur self motivated, then tutoring isnt really worth it aside from the resources imo

but if u ever feel like u need more help, then u can always take up tutoring halfway through the year anyway

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
Rather than having tutoring sessions every week, you could just have tutoring sessions around exam time. This wouldn't be as much of a financial burden?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)