Tutoring via e-mail (1 Viewer)

tutor74

HSC
N/A
I have been tutoring since I was at Uni and the thing I have found is that it is very inflexible for the person I am tutoring. Recently I have been tutoring via email because:
  • You can ask questions when YOU want
  • If you have a question that only takes me 10 min to answer you only pay for 10 min
  • People like the anonymity - it helps to ask questions you might think are 'silly', you don't have to face someone every week and there are no problems of having a stranger at your house.
  • I can charge less because I don't have to travel to your place and I don't have to keep an hour free every week.
  • You can have more tutoring when you need it (like exam times) and none when you don't need it!
I am a teacher of Economics, Business Studies, English, Legal Studies and do a lot of work with study skills, time management and motivation. I have also done proof reading of essays in all subjects (including Uni), especially for students who have English Speaking difficulties.

As a face to face tutor with HSC marking in 3 subjects I was able to charge $50-$60 an hour but this way I charge $40. The easiest way is to pay $40 through EFT or mail and then I tell you when I have spent an hour answering your questions. If they are short like "What's the difference between . . ." or "What does . . . .mean?" you probably get 8-10 questions answered for $40. Obviously proof reading an essay would take longer. But if you would prefer to just send $5 for a question each time that's cool too. Either way, its much cheaper than paying a tutor $30-$50 a week to come out to your house.

If you are interested send a message or email me at tutor74@hotmail.com.

Steve

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
tutor74 said:
I have been tutoring since I was at Uni and the thing I have found is that it is very inflexible for the person I am tutoring. Recently I have been tutoring via email because:
  • You can ask questions when YOU want
  • If you have a question that only takes me 10 min to answer you only pay for 10 min
  • People like the anonymity - it helps to ask questions you might think are 'silly', you don't have to face someone every week and there are no problems of having a stranger at your house.
  • I can charge less because I don't have to travel to your place and I don't have to keep an hour free every week.
  • You can have more tutoring when you need it (like exam times) and none when you don't need it!
I am a teacher of Economics, Business Studies, English, Legal Studies and do a lot of work with study skills, time management and motivation. I have also done proof reading of essays in all subjects (including Uni), especially for students who have English Speaking difficulties.

As a face to face tutor with HSC marking in 3 subjects I was able to charge $50-$60 an hour but this way I charge $40. The easiest way is to pay $40 through EFT or mail and then I tell you when I have spent an hour answering your questions. If they are short like "What's the difference between . . ." or "What does . . . .mean?" you probably get 8-10 questions answered for $40. Obviously proof reading an essay would take longer. But if you would prefer to just send $5 for a question each time that's cool too. Either way, its much cheaper than paying a tutor $30-$50 a week to come out to your house.

If you are interested send a message or email me at tutor74@hotmail.com.

Steve
No one's stupid enough to pay $40 for 8-10 questions to be answered, when they can get it answered for free on this forum.

tutor74

HSC
N/A
I don't think you need to be so negative. You could argue that all tutoring is stupid if all the answers are available on the forum. The answers to all maths problems are in the textbook! So should we not have maths tutors? It just helps people to have 1 on 1 help and I am offering it in a more user-friendly way than having a stranger in your house.

X

xeuyrawp

tutor74 said:
I don't think you need to be so negative. You could argue that all tutoring is stupid if all the answers are available on the forum.
Tutoring person to person is far better than tutoring online.

The answers to all maths problems are in the textbook! So should we not have maths tutors?
Please note difference between 'answering a question on theory/methodology' and 'answering one question via a solution'.

If I said 'What's 1+2?', the answer is black and white and requires little explanation. If I say 'How do you add 1 and 2?', the answer is more complicated.

The first question could be said to be an empirical question, whilst the second is a conceptual one. Person to person tutoring deals with these higher order conceptual questions, as does this forum. Higher order questions are what keep students behind - a student doesn't fail maths because he doesn't know the answer, it's because he can't figure out the solution.

It'd be impossible to even begin to offer the same level of person to person tutoring in an email. You could at least offer something like MSN / phone tutoring.

It just helps people to have 1 on 1 help and I am offering it in a more user-friendly way than having a stranger in your house.
It does, but they can get it here for free.

tutor74

HSC
N/A
I don't really see the difference between having an MSN conversation and exchanging emails, and I don't really think I am less able to explain a concept in words in an email than I am in person.

As a HSC teacher it has been very successful for my students to contact me at their convenience when they have difficulty or a question rather than at a particular time on a particular day. I understand your point about maths but I am not expecting questions such as "What is a tariff?", more like "I don't understand how a tariff creates inflationary pressures" or questions on how to apply information to HSC questions, which is what I have generally done as a tutor.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
first of all fix your avator so people can take you seriously.

tutor74

HSC
N/A
Your just being childish Spaceman! If people want a good tutor with HSC marking experience my avatar wont make a difference

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
tutor74 said:
Your just being childish Spaceman! If people want a good tutor with HSC marking experience my avatar wont make a difference
Yes, but does anyone know that your an actual good tutor with hsc marking experience? Anyone wanting to persuade students to join their tutoring classes, can go into a forum and say that. Thus, you having a avatar of that sort practically destorys your image and people's perception of you and your classes.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Your probably right. That doesn't meant absolutely right. You talk alot about experience. Can you do the first question from this page. It seems HSC students on this site are stuck with it.

SteveL

HSC
N/A
Or they might think he has a sense of humour, which is a great quality in a tutor!:)

tutor74

HSC
N/A
LoneShadow said:
Your probably right. That doesn't meant absolutely right. You talk alot about experience. Can you do the first question from this page. It seems HSC students on this site are stuck with it.
Check my post - Eco and Business. I used maths as an example to make a point but can't tutor it! Its been too long since my HSC.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA. He created a new account just to defend his other one.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
SteveL said:
Or they might think he has a sense of humour, which is a great quality in a tutor!:)
For fuck sake, don't tell me you just made that account to justify your statement.

EDIT:mad:Lone - damn, you beat me to it lol.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
For fuck sake, don't tell me you just made that account to justify your statement.

EDIT:mad:Lone - damn, you beat me to it lol.
ohh yeah. his name is Stev as well :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
LoneShadow said:
ohh yeah. his name is Stev as well :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I really question his maturity and his age!

tutor74 said:
Check my post - Eco and Business. I used maths as an example to make a point but can't tutor it! Its been too long since my HSC.
Experienced my ass, and i quote
tutor74 said:
Don't look at the website, just think of who would want to visit a zoo. I think if you said tourists and families you would be right.
Man, i would love you as my business studies HSC marker.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lol mega flaming i see..
nice to see u too again lonely shadow =)

so long havn't to bos... so much has changded =S

didn't read too much of the post, but i got the gist of it..
email's very different from 1-1 tutoring... to me, even msn tutoring is nto sufficient enough... phone's better, but email - no way... u prolly get one whole arvo to have ur question answered... u need some live device to ensure student is getting the answer they needed...

very simply, a student doesn't understand what effect does a minimal wage above equilubrium wage have on economy, you can well say that it will have more labour supply than labour demand, so there will be unemployment... but it doesn't help the student if he/she doesn't know what supply/demand curves are... so several emails needs to be exchanged in order to have those clarified...

quite inefficient comparing to 1-1

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Just my take on the situation.

While I believe email is a medium capable of being used to tutor/teach, it is certainly not of the level worth paying for. As xiao has pointed out, it is inefficient at getting the concepts across.

I have been marking correspondence for AMOC, it is possible to get the ideas through, but if face to face tutoring was introduced the kids would learn much faster, and you would know where the flaws in their thinking are. Then again, they are the top 1% (or something) in the state and certainly easier to guide than your average student.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
It's true we were a bit mean to him. Perhaps unnecessarily [is that how you spell it?]. Then again who would want to pay for email-tutoring?
The student who can learn by email-tutoring does not need a tutor. Just read your textbook, or references online.

@duckie: what are you talking about featherless one? I've always been online. well amlmost always....anyways hai:eek:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
LoneShadow said:
It's true we were a bit mean to him. Perhaps unnecessarily [is that how you spell it?]. Then again who would want to pay for email-tutoring?
The student who can learn by email-tutoring does not need a tutor. Just read your textbook, or references online.

@duckie: what are you talking about featherless one? I've always been online. well amlmost always....anyways hai:eek:
Scared him away i think lol.
But hey good cause!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)