tutoring without high uai? (1 Viewer)

minchi24556

HSC
N/A
hi, i am a 1st year teaching (Japanese + English major) student and i have been looking to do some private tutoring while at uni. My uai was not so high, but in the language i am doing i scored an 89 for my hsc. I also have a gpa of 5 (much closer to a 6 than a 4). I'm wondering, what is the chance that i will be accepted for tutoring? In this year i have gone over the hsc in my uni course (in a language, it's all basically straightforward repetition of the hsc course and then more) kept my textbook which is still being used for HSC students, and basically have done the same course in 2005.

I'm willing to tutor, and i believe i can help students with Japanese (Advanced). I know the HSC coursework for the subject and i think due to my course/uni grades i am qualified, but noticed that many people who offer to tutor are teachers or got a 95+ uai. Do i have a chance? I believe especially in languages, having been through the syllabus before, knowing the textbook and knowing the COURSE (+ redoing it in uni, unlike other subjects a language is the same wherever you learn it and i'm getting HD's in the japanese units) it's possible to perform well as a tutor.

Basically, i believe im qualified but without a uai i don't know if people will accept me to tutor. Will my academic transcript be enough? (Obviously this is a personal response but i'm just wondering if a uai counts for everything, obviously people who want tutoring are striving toward a high one.)

p.s. i noticed that japanese tutors seem to be quite rare, as are english ones. Good or bad?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Japanese tutors are quite rare indeed, and are you a native speaker of Japanese?

As for the UAI thing, its unfortunately going to depend on the situation, if you tutor through an agency, depending on the agency, UAI may be looked at, as well as personal tutoring.

The problem is the myth of UAI = smarts, and its propogation through pre-tertiary education. I would say that if the appeal is there, then definitely go for it. Don't be ashamed of your UAI, just prove how you're currently going at and that should be enough.

Life Starts Now

stressful?...NEVER!
HSC
By willing to teach and give time to your students you have proved that you will be a good tutor. Some people may think that a high UAI might mean that you are smart, but smart doesnt equal good teacher.

I've had tutors that are really smart, got 100 UAI even and they weren't great TEACHERS, yes they are SMART, but they don't have the ability to express what they know, so of course give it a chance. I'm sure that your attitude towards wanting to help students will give you an advantage.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A good learner is not always a good teacher...

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Life Starts Now said:
By willing to teach and give time to your students you have proved that you will be a good tutor. Some people may think that a high UAI might mean that you are smart, but smart doesnt equal good teacher.

I've had tutors that are really smart, got 100 UAI even and they weren't great TEACHERS, yes they are SMART, but they don't have the ability to express what they know, so of course give it a chance. I'm sure that your attitude towards wanting to help students will give you an advantage.
Wow it's pretty hard to find someone with 100uai to tutor you.

Was it laurie?

Life Starts Now

stressful?...NEVER!
HSC
bobness said:
Wow it's pretty hard to find someone with 100uai to tutor you.

Was it laurie?
Actually it was some guy called William, I think he graduated a couple of years before me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)