twin paradox (1 Viewer)

sarah_

hey, uh there is no syllabus dot point regarding the twin paradox? or does it fit under the dot point regarding 'thought experiments'? i'm not sure whether i need to learn it or not? anybody know?
thanks

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont think it was one of Einstein's thought experiments and i dont remember seeing it in the syllabus

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
it has something to do with time dialation.... so where ever you can talk abt time dialation, u can talk abt twin paradox...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
im not sure which dot point it is related to, the huge relativity dot pt as xiao said or the future space travel 1, or even the thought experiment 1... just learn it cuz it is definitely testable and has been examined in many papers already

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Where does the actual paradox come from?

From my recollection and interpretation i think it was because the earth twin can say the other is travelling away at a speed close to c, while the spacecraft twin can say the earth one is moving away at speed close to c.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Twin paradox wasn't that cool. I thought to myself "hey, its a paradox - gotta be cool." But it wasn't.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah especially since one is required to go through two non-inertial frames of refrences for it to work.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Of course. None of these are actually paradoxes, if you consider them carefully. The earth twin is in one frame, but the spaceship twin must change frames to return to earth since he/she started travelling away at ~< c and finished travelling towards the other at ~<c. The effect is fully described in general relativity.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It isnt theoretical proof of time dilation, the mirror on a train travelling at the speed of light is the theoretical proof. Or the experimental proof is the atomic clocks that circled the earth in a plane/stayed on the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)