Two tiny Q.s : 1. kid.y's fn? 2. isn't Down Syn. an inherited dis.??????????????????? (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
1. I say one fn of a kidney is SECRETION. My friend says it's EXCRETION. BUT i'm right...................right?

2. A book says Down Syndrome is NOT a hereditary disease but I was taught it IS!

plz expln :)

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
1. no its excretion...
the kidney does not secrete any substances..
just filters and excretes water and other instistitial fliuds back into the body..

2. what books.. downs sydrome is a non infectious inherited disease i'm just trying to recell whether inherited and hereditary hav the same meaning hold on..no wait..i get it now...

the book is right...downs syndrome is not hereditary.. it is NOT passed down from generation to generation (ie from parents to child)
it is an inherited disease in so far as, when fertilsation occurs and gametes are dividing within their respective cells under normal function..howver on some cases there is not a split between all 21st chromosomes and a pair reminds joined..
this means that within one cell..while a normal one would hav 2 chormosomes.. this one will hav 3
(trisomy)

the actual mechanics od downs syndrome occurs during the moesis stage (or miotic? i forgot :S)

it is not something that the child is predisposed to due to genes that the parents are already carrying..
so after all that blabbering

1. the kidney EXTRETES not secretes
2. downs sydrome is a NON HEREDITARY, non infectious INHERITED disease

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
Regarding the kidney, I believe that the kidney does "secrete", in a sense that waste products from the blood are "secreted" into the kidney nephron, where it is then gotten rid off through the collecting duct -> bladder etc.

The three processes that occur in the kidney nephron are:

- Filtration
- Secretion
- Reabsorption

Not sure if you mean secretion of the kidney as a whole, but if you're talking about the nephron, then yes, secretion does occur.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I say that the function of the kidney is osmoregulation and waste excretion. Just to be different.

As said above, down syndrome is not a hereditary disease. It is a genetic disease, however it results from chance rather than the parents having the disease, or recessive alleles or all that stuff.

Last edited:

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
Regarding the kidney, I believe that the kidney does "secrete", in a sense that waste products from the blood are "secreted" into the kidney nephron, where it is then gotten rid off through the collecting duct -> bladder etc.

The three processes that occur in the kidney nephron are:

- Filtration
- Secretion
- Reabsorption

Not sure if you mean secretion of the kidney as a whole, but if you're talking about the nephron, then yes, secretion does occur.
good point yeah in the nephron there is secretion involved...
so i guess u both hav valid points so stop argueing with each other!!..
crazy kids

schooly

ok i am a but confused now...... whats the difference between heridatary and inherited? examples might help too.
Thankyou

~SArAh~B~

OK: hope this helps... this is the explanation from the Collins Gem Biology Basic Facts Book.

Inherited disease: disorders that are heridetary ie. they are passed from generation to generation by genes. Examples include sickle cell anaemia and haemophilia.

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i think of inherited as a defect passed on from genes
eg down syndrome

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by schooly
ok i am a but confused now...... whats the difference between heridatary and inherited? examples might help too.
Thankyou
They're the same thing.. both of them are passed down from generation to generation, via genes.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
its secretion...

and downsyndrome is hereditary isnt it?

hold on whats the difference between inherited and hereditary cause someone posted something that made it appear as though there is a difference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)